Just got my first tank - couple starter questions

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mombo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Mombo

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
May 2, 2017
Messages
593
Reaction score
251
What state or country do you live in
Utah
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had a couple freshwater tanks up to this point but we found a good deal on a 29g Biocube and decided to give salt water a try.

I have a bag of sand and some dry rocks on order and waiting for them to arrive so I can cycle the system. Ive read I can add a live rock to the aquarium to help it cycle quickly or get a bacteria start bottle.

My first question is should I do the live rock method? Seems like the pros of dry rock are that it is clean and doesnt come with anything bad. I would just be adding that possibility if I used a live rock right?

Do I want Coraline algae in my tank? I see pic of it and of course it looks cool with the purple and pink everywhere but then I also see it spreading all over the place and it looks like its hard to get off. Is it something that is inevitable to get? I know from the above if I put a live rock in and it has coraline on it then it would spread through the tank.

Is there anything good about it though other then looks?

Also any suggestions for me here in the early days? Anything you recommend for me about the biocube 29? Seems like there is tons to consider with this tank.
 
Welcome to Reef2Reef! Glad to have you here!

My first question is should I do the live rock method? Seems like the pros of dry rock are that it is clean and doesnt come with anything bad. I would just be adding that possibility if I used a live rock right?
There is nothing wrong with using either live or dry rock. They each have their pro's and con's. Unless you run a fish QT and coral/invert QT it will be impossible to keep everything bad out of your tank anyway so I'm not sure how much of a concern that the pests are. Especially when you are setting up your first rather small system.

Do I want Coraline algae in my tank? I see pic of it and of course it looks cool with the purple and pink everywhere but then I also see it spreading all over the place and it looks like its hard to get off. Is it something that is inevitable to get? I know from the above if I put a live rock in and it has coraline on it then it would spread through the tank.
You may or may not want it, but you will get it. It will come in on coral frags even if you don't use live rock.

Is there anything good about it though other then looks?
I think it stabilizes the rock which is a good thing, but that is my opinion.

Also any suggestions for me here in the early days?
Spends a lot of time on here reading the "Sticky" posts. And go SLOW!!! You will get tired of people telling you that nothing good happens fast in this hobby but it is true. Most people rush despite the warning (at least the first time). Breaks your heart when you see their tanks crash and loose all their fish and/or corals.
 
My recommendation is you start the tank with macro algae like chaeto right from the start. then do the rest.

very general guidelines
1) start tank with macro algae
2) wait 1 week.
3) add single male molly
4) don't add food for 1 week
5) start feeding 1 flake per day.

after a few weeks then add the more expensive marie only fish and corals.

the idea is the macro algae breaks up the initial (and future mini) cycle by consuming ammonia directly. Then after the aerobic bacteria builds up and consumes the ammonia, the macro are forced to consume nitrates for nitrogen. Meanwhile the macros are also consuming phosphates, co2 and returning fish food and oxygen.

Best to have the macros in a refugium which can be a simple partition (eggcrate) with some added side lights to keep the macros thriving.

my .02
 
You're approaching reefing the right way - asking questions, considering options, etc. Just go slow, watch what happens and keep it simple. Good luck

I have a Biocube 32 LED and have upgraded the stock pump with a Sicce and think the increased flow has made a positive difference for corals and fish. Recommendations you'll read for filter media vary greatly and it will take some experimentation on your part to identify what is most effective for your particular tank, but this is one of the fun parts of reefing and gives you another opportunity to learn and appreciate saltwater animals. Only caution I would offer is to be careful not to overstock your tank.......dealing with a significant bioload brings on a whole new set of challenges.
 
Haha ya I'm pretty good at going slow with this stuff. I had to limit myself to a side budget to prevent myself from going hog wild with upgrades.

I was planning on doing the intank refugium in the back of the tank but I didn't think to set it up early. It was on my 1 month plan. I am also planning on getting the intank media basket. Since you mention filter material. I'm planning on using filter floss of course but what other things should I be throwing in the basket for a new tank?

Good to know coralline is inevitable haha then I won't worry when I see it. I'm def not setup well enough to have a QT tank going as well yet. I do like the idea of it stabilizing the rocks. So I have 30lbs of dry rock coming. Should I just nab a small live rock with coralline to seed the tank or do it old school?

I've been back and forth on gluing them down or just stacking them like a boss and hoping they won't fall over.

For rock design does it matter the shape or is it all preference? We were thinking about a mound style but kinda like an open cave.... idk if that makes sense. Coral is on my 9-12m plan. I want to make sure my tank is solid before I start that phase.... so I can screw it up properly still lol.

Can you please link the replacement pump you used or know work well. If you upgrade the pump with a new more powerful one should you still add a circulation pump? I have a koralia nano 425 or similar on my list.

I'll get my wife to send over her fish list so far. We are thinking 4-5 fish in hopes to not overload the tank. We will add them in really slowly likely to keep spending in check and to learn how the tank reacts to additions.

I have kinda picked out a CUC off reefcleaners as well.
 
Since you mention filter material. I'm planning on using filter floss of course but what other things should I be throwing in the basket for a new tank?

I would recommend just starting with the filter floss. I believe you should always have GAC (granular activated carbon) handy in case you need it. Otherwise, your tank will tell you what other filter media you need.

Should I just nab a small live rock with coralline to seed the tank or do it old school?
I wouldn't bother but that is just me.

I've been back and forth on gluing them down or just stacking them like a boss and hoping they won't fall over.

For rock design does it matter the shape or is it all preference?

Your rock design is mostly all on you and what you prefer. You do want to make sure you have hiding places for your fish so they can be comfortable but they don't need anything elaborate.
 
I have a BC29 and use the Intank rack and fuge. In the top is pillow floss from the craft store. Change every 2 to 3 days. In the middle is A bag of Chemipure. In the bottom is ceramic rings.

I use the JBJ light in the fuge. I replaced my stock pump with a Cobolt MJ1200.

I also removed the back cover to be able to put an Aquaticlife 115 in the first bay.

Heater and Tunze Osmolator Nano ato in the 3rd bay.
 
With 30lbs of rock and 20lbs of sand should I be expecting to need to use some form of bacteria rings like matrix etc?

Ive been looking at the fuge light options on inTank. They have two currently the JBJ for $60 and the innovative marine magnafuge at 49. Trying to work the fuge into my plans earlier now so I am wondering if either of those would work or if there is a larger advantage to the JBJ that I am not understanding.

I did buy a little nozzle thing that goes on the water output that changes the way the current goes. Is that going to be something worth using? Should I look into getting a Y adapter to make it so I can send the current two directions? Would it be better to upgrade the pump or add the Koralia nano circulation pump first?

I think I'm going to skip on a skimmer for now until I figure out what is going on haha. Ive read that I need to replace the lights at the top of the Biocube every 6 months until I upgrade it to LEDs. Is this true or can they last longer? If I am not growing coral yet and they both still work will that be fine or do the rocks and fish need fresh lights? I got the tank used so I am not sure how old each light is. He didn't use one of the lights he said because he was setup for freshwater so I think the "salt water" light is pretty fresh.

Also our current fish list and trying to narrow it down.

Pair of Ocellaris Clowns of course
Then these -
Firefish
Royal Gramma Basslet
Yellowtail Damselfish
Tanaka's Pygmy Wrasse
Bicolor Dottyback
Pinkbar Goby
Yellow Clown Goby
Green Clown Goby

We had to quickly eliminate the Mandarin. Sadly I don't think we will be prepared to take on one of those for years haha. Gotta get addicted and buy a massive tank first I think.
 
Haha ya I'm pretty good at going slow with this stuff. I had to limit myself to a side budget to prevent myself from going hog wild with upgrades.

I was planning on doing the intank refugium in the back of the tank but I didn't think to set it up early. It was on my 1 month plan. I am also planning on getting the intank media basket. Since you mention filter material. I'm planning on using filter floss of course but what other things should I be throwing in the basket for a new tank?

Good to know coralline is inevitable haha then I won't worry when I see it. I'm def not setup well enough to have a QT tank going as well yet. I do like the idea of it stabilizing the rocks. So I have 30lbs of dry rock coming. Should I just nab a small live rock with coralline to seed the tank or do it old school?

I've been back and forth on gluing them down or just stacking them like a boss and hoping they won't fall over.

For rock design does it matter the shape or is it all preference? We were thinking about a mound style but kinda like an open cave.... idk if that makes sense. Coral is on my 9-12m plan. I want to make sure my tank is solid before I start that phase.... so I can screw it up properly still lol.

Can you please link the replacement pump you used or know work well. If you upgrade the pump with a new more powerful one should you still add a circulation pump? I have a koralia nano 425 or similar on my list.

I'll get my wife to send over her fish list so far. We are thinking 4-5 fish in hopes to not overload the tank. We will add them in really slowly likely to keep spending in check and to learn how the tank reacts to additions.

I have kinda picked out a CUC off reefcleaners as well.
I use the Sicce 1.5 which runs 357 gph, about 100 more than the stock pump and costs around $65; I have the same Koralia mounted on the opposite side of the filter wall. As for rock arrangement, I don't stack mine against the glass, believing it is easier to keep tank clean when you leave a margin all the way around the formation so you get better circulation.

I use the CaribSea Life Rock which locks together well so I don't need to cement anything and can change the 'scape if I need to add corals, etc. I combined their tonga branch with base rock and now have a mound with a lot of caves, open swimming spaces.

As for filter media, I'm trying Marine Pure bio media in the middle chamber right now in addition to filter floss and, so far, it is giving me good water. Several people I know stack Seachem Matrix in middle chamber and get good results; probably anything porous, e.g. Siporex, etc will work as long as you don't overfeed.

Hope this is useful information
 
Ah so you are running and upgrade pump and the circulation pump as well. One on each side.

Anyone know if the Biocube is acrylic? Ive been reading mixed info. Its the Coralife BC 29. Seems like half the stuff says its glass and half says its acrylic. I have a couple tiny scratches I was going to see if I could fix before my rock arrives but if its glass I'm not going to bother. Seems like it scratches so easily...
 
I was planning on doing the intank refugium in the back of the tank but I didn't think to set it up early.

.
Good plan. Do it now. LOL

Seriously a thriving growth of chaeto is a very good and reliable visual indication the tank is doing well.

my .02
 
Does chaeto usually come seeded with copepods? Are copepods consumed by most saltwater fish? I read a lot about copepods while learning about how bad an idea a mandarin would be but I assume they would be good to have in the tank regardless? If I get the fuge going for chaeto do I need to have a light attached to the back of the tank to help it grow from the beginning or will it do alright in the back without a light?

What do yall think about the fish we have currently selected? Are any just plain bad ideas? Any of them that don't get along with the others etc that we need to consider? Will the size of the biocube be efficient for those? How is the Damsel fish with the others? Ive started reading about those. Are they a bad choice?

Trying to find reason to eliminate any to help narrow the selection down.
 
Does chaeto usually come seeded with copepods? Are copepods consumed by most saltwater fish? I read a lot about copepods while learning about how bad an idea a mandarin would be but I assume they would be good to have in the tank regardless? If I get the fuge going for chaeto do I need to have a light attached to the back of the tank to help it grow from the beginning or will it do alright in the back without a light?

What do yall think about the fish we have currently selected? Are any just plain bad ideas? Any of them that don't get along with the others etc that we need to consider? Will the size of the biocube be efficient for those? How is the Damsel fish with the others? Ive started reading about those. Are they a bad choice?

Trying to find reason to eliminate any to help narrow the selection down.
One of the many side effects of a refugium with macros is that it provides a protected area for both the macros and pods. And most saltwater fish do consume pods.

Yes the chaeto does have to be lit for best results. On my old 55g (4' long) I just used two two tube 4' long shop lights. The lights with 6500k tubes cost around $18 each.

For smaller areas, I use the spiral pig tail 6500k incandescent replacement bulbs. (About 20 actual watts or ~80 equivalent incandescent watts).

Damsels are reported to be a bad choice as they get territorial and aggressive later.

my .02
 
Does chaeto usually come seeded with copepods? Are copepods consumed by most saltwater fish? I read a lot about copepods while learning about how bad an idea a mandarin would be but I assume they would be good to have in the tank regardless?
Most will come seeded with copepods and amphipods. Most fish will snack on them and I consider them the smallest members of my CuC. Incredibly beneficial to the health of a tank.
 
Look at Intank, LLC for the media basket. I love mine. We have an 8 gallon biocube. Take a look. They are sold on eBay from the company too.
 
Seems like the pros of dry rock are that it is clean and doesnt come with anything bad.
It won't have bad hitch hikers but it can have bound in phosphates and nitrates that can start leaching out, thus fueling hair algae.
Many reefers acid wash or do other methods to remove the bound in goodies before they put their dry rock in the display tank.
 
Hitchhikers are part of the fun for us.
 
Hitchhikers are part of the fun for us.
I love the real deal live rock but (lol) the last batch I got had 6 mantis shrimp. :eek:
That maybe fun for you but (lol) those are some tough boogers to capture.

They were cutting threw my (CUC) like Swiss cheese. A month after I got them all out I was still hearing "Clicking" in my sleep.
 
" Do you still hear the clicking of the shrimp, Clarise?" Sorry. I may have seen Silence of the Lambs too many times.
 
" Do you still hear the clicking of the shrimp, Clarise?" Sorry. I may have seen Silence of the Lambs too many times.
Lol,
No, but you knows it's bad when you've got a open line of credit at your (lfs) for (CUC) replacements. :(

I'd still take the real deal over dry rock any day of the week. :)

Thanks to you I'll be hearing "Clarise" in my head all night long and that does haunt me like mantis shrimp "Clicks". :eek:
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top