Justin’s 30g Nano Reef Progression Thread

zjustin334

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 27, 2022
Messages
2
Reaction score
2
Location
Taiwan
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first tank was a 10g pico (with an external sump), Everything went fine, but then I saw a second hand 40g being sold at a very low price so I thought it was about time for an upgrade. My old tank looked like this:
9B0DCE63-E030-4882-96E5-267775A46A0E.jpeg

My new tank looked like this, clearly not in a good condition (hence the low price):
554B789D-3A99-4A01-8CF1-124F9C6FDC2E.jpeg

The first thing I did was to replace the foundation. The old wooden shelf was already breaking down after all those years soaking in salt water. I ordered this online, drilled the holes, and plainted the boards with water-proof paints.
0163AF3B-AB49-40E3-ACC5-AE15A7AA81A9.jpeg

For the out flow, the limited space left me no choice but Durso
A9986F3A-C7AF-4A71-BF3B-F3B966C59C28.jpeg

I rebuilt the weir top since it was already blending
26FA5E0F-6D32-4640-B1D5-80E31A6E56E5.jpeg

DIY lid. Intensionally leaving almost no hole since I lost a fish jumping out from a small feeding hole.
08E7DDAC-159D-460A-8F99-F169FB7AE456.jpeg

Here's a side-by-side comparison of my old tank and my new. I did a simple scape using second-hand rocks gifted by a fellow hobbyist, leaving plenty of room for my old rocks. I have already moved my fuge to the new sump.
BE90C971-0A90-43E2-A659-78C7739128CC.jpeg


This is how my tank look like as of today. I am having some diatom issue (confirmed using a microscope) probably because of the new sand, but hopefully it will be gone soon.
600F3517-3B66-4971-BD67-86BC4D00B544.jpeg

I will use this thread to document my progress from now on, and probably some close up of my animals!
 
Let me share the growth of my BTA. This is April when I first got it:
91CA16DE-63E7-4D5D-ABEA-531153BDCE1E.jpeg

And this is today (it’s the same pot):
DF12E112-14C2-409C-8E7E-C7D855660C8C.jpeg

This is my second BTA and the first successful one, my first one was eaten by my clowns.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top