K1 Kalk Stirrer Clogging - Prevents ATO from Working

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

I tried this and it did not work, still back siphon. I had to use a Tee and added another hose and stretched it high so that my pump couldn’t push that far and forces all the water into the kalk reactor . I hung the secondary hose off the tee into the overflow of my display tank just in case but has access to air to break the siphon.
 
It's an issue for sure. I had to cut a small hole in the white tubing within the reactor to stop the back siphon. It does the trick, but I lose some of the flow to the bottom of the reactor where all kalk is sitting.
 
I had my k1 for about 5 years. My Tunze feeds the stirrer from the Rodi res. I have a hose attached to the fitting on the end of the stirrer and ends 1 inch below water line in sump. The k1 always overflows when the ATO kicks on. I tried the hose above water line also. Still overflows. I put a valve between ATO and stirring, but it still overflows just slower.

Any help @AVAST Marine
 
I’d say your output is clogged or your pump is too strong. Definitely can’t have the output under water because it gravity feeds. The output has to be higher and in a slope down to the sump so the water isn’t restricted.
 
I tried this and it did not work, still back siphon. I had to use a Tee and added another hose and stretched it high so that my pump couldn’t push that far and forces all the water into the kalk reactor . I hung the secondary hose off the tee into the overflow of my display tank just in case but has access to air to break the siphon.

This is a great method, we diagram it in the manual for our diaphragm pump. I think if we add the diagrams to the kalk stirrer manual it will help clear some confusion.
 
It's an issue for sure. I had to cut a small hole in the white tubing within the reactor to stop the back siphon. It does the trick, but I lose some of the flow to the bottom of the reactor where all kalk is sitting.

This is a great way to break the siphon too! There doesn't need to be much flow down by the kalk since the motor is doing the "stirring". The water flow is simply displacing saturated kalkwasser to the top of the reactor.
 
I had my k1 for about 5 years. My Tunze feeds the stirrer from the Rodi res. I have a hose attached to the fitting on the end of the stirrer and ends 1 inch below water line in sump. The k1 always overflows when the ATO kicks on. I tried the hose above water line also. Still overflows. I put a valve between ATO and stirring, but it still overflows just slower.

Any help @AVAST Marine

Under the water line is not a good idea. A couple inches above is where it should be.
 
It's an issue for sure. I had to cut a small hole in the white tubing within the reactor to stop the back siphon. It does the trick, but I lose some of the flow to the bottom of the reactor where all kalk is sitting.

This ^


^
IMG_1505.JPG
IMG_1512.JPG
 
Last edited:
I’ve integrated the kalk stirrer with my Tunze Osmolator, so my best bet is the check valve it seems. Either way, I think I’ve found a solution, and I’m a huge fan of Avast products! I’ll always recommend you guys!
Could you send me a picture of what you did? I used a tee but the pump puts more water out of it than through the reactor.
 
Could you send me a picture of what you did? I used a tee but the pump puts more water out of it than through the reactor.

I am currently out of town, but I can take a picture of what I’m currently doing. I stopped running all of my ATO through the reactor, and now dose with my Apex and an Aqualifter pump.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top