Kansas City reefer looking for fishy friends

Shaymas

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 29, 2018
Messages
8
Reaction score
40
What state or country do you live in
Missouri
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping home aquariums all my life... Started with a betta at 2 years old. I have done it all in the broad sense of the saying, tropical community, livebearer breeding, planted, biotype, rapids, brackish, FOWLR.... Now I am 32 and have my own kids to teach. Right now we have a planted guppy tank and teaching the biology of genetics to them. Well anyway I am delving into the immense world of reefing. I don't have a mentor so figured a community would be better anyway lol. I'm looking to make some friends that might tutor me on the occasional thing that I don't have time to spend hours or even days researching! Like right now I bought a light but can't find anything on what corals it will actually support and I need someone to help me wrap my head around a light chart that is supposed to tell me definitively what can go where. So anyway HI big family of fish fans here looking for some reefy friends lol
 
Welcome to R2R!! Lots of great people here with lots of knowledge they're more than willing to share :)
welcome12_af875eaa887ed91c39e4c81c7d4fd966-0ed06ab93ea565647147c6beddbca4eb.gif
tenor.gif
#WelcometoR2R
 
I hope someone in the KC area reads this.... I used to have a friend in the hobby and were always trading stuff back and forth. Its awesome to see a frag off the same coral but in someone else's tank with different lights or placement or husbandry that looks entirely different! But I moved and don't have a friend like that anymore.....
 
Welcome home, you will love it here!

We are the same age and my kids too are learning about feeding :)
 
I'm actually north of KC in crappy Excelsior Springs but all around the area mainly Liberty Claycomo area
Ah ok. I grew up in central Kansas. Spent a lot of time with family in Overland Park.
 
Welcome home, you will love it here!

We are the same age and my kids too are learning about feeding :)
I have two sons 9 and 18 my wife has two sons 9 and 10 and we just had our first son together 2 months ago so grand total 5 boys lol
 
Welcome to R2R! There's tons of good info on here to get you started. Friendliest place around so fire away the questions.

Try to find the local reef club if there is one. Clubs are usually full of good people & a good way to see other reefers setups to see how they succeed in the hobby.
 
I am all over... north to St. Joseph south to Sedalia West past Lawrence Kansas.... Anyone with salt in the hour and half vicinity... Please chime in
(lol)
I have an older sister that lives in Lawrence, but they are not reefers.

I'm with @pugcrush :
You can join an local reef club that's in your area and they can help you with a lot of your needs.

:)
 
I have been keeping home aquariums all my life... Started with a betta at 2 years old. I have done it all in the broad sense of the saying, tropical community, livebearer breeding, planted, biotype, rapids, brackish, FOWLR.... Now I am 32 and have my own kids to teach. Right now we have a planted guppy tank and teaching the biology of genetics to them. Well anyway I am delving into the immense world of reefing. I don't have a mentor so figured a community would be better anyway lol. I'm looking to make some friends that might tutor me on the occasional thing that I don't have time to spend hours or even days researching! Like right now I bought a light but can't find anything on what corals it will actually support and I need someone to help me wrap my head around a light chart that is supposed to tell me definitively what can go where. So anyway HI big family of fish fans here looking for some reefy friends lol
Did you find someone in KC? I am looking for a local reef club here in town and still can't find one... Love Matt at ReefRack and The guys at Petopia but would love a club connection...
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top