Kessil a360w tuna blue Intensity over shallow reef.

CorbetJackson50

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 16, 2008
Messages
138
Reaction score
43
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a a Kessil a360 over a 25g lagoon tank (24 x 20 x 12). This is a zoa dominated tank and I dont want to cook them. I am running the Kessil controller and I'm curious of recommended color and Intensity. Right now at peak I have been running 50% color and 50% Intensity. Zoas are stretching some and I think I need to ramp the light up some. I believe the Kessil a360 is a little overkill for this tank and I don't want to cook anything.
 
If you see the zoas stretching, then upping the intensity to say... 65% probably wouldn't be too drastic. Leave it there for a couple of weeks to see how the corals react. @crabs_mcjones also knows a lot about Kessils so let's get him in on the conversation :)
 
How far away is it from the waters surface to the lense of the light? And do you notice them stretching everywhere in the tank or just around the edges?
 
How far away is it from the waters surface to the lense of the light? And do you notice them stretching everywhere in the tank or just around the edges?

I'll have to check height but I'm guessing about 14" off the surface. I used to have it closer but wasn't getting the spread I liked. Most of my zoa's seem pretty good but others are stretching even near the top/center of the tank. I would chalk it up to "just a longer stalk zoa" however when i purchased them they were not stretching.
 
I'll have to check height but I'm guessing about 14" off the surface. I used to have it closer but wasn't getting the spread I liked. Most of my zoa's seem pretty good but others are stretching even near the top/center of the tank. I would chalk it up to "just a longer stalk zoa" however when i purchased them they were not stretching.
I would slowly ramp it up and see how your zoas respond. What are you using to control the light? Ramp it up by 5% a week and see how they respond.
 
I'm using the Kessil Controller
I would modify your schedule each week to up the intensity by 5% until you find a spot the zoas like. If they start to look upset dial it back by 10%, if they improve up it by another 5% and hold it there. That'll be your sweet spot :)
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top