- Joined
- Sep 22, 2019
- Messages
- 413
- Reaction score
- 265
So I’ve asked this question a couple of different places and I’m afraid this is ultimately going to come down to “flip a coin” but I wanted to pose this question one last time to the R2R community to see if I can narrow my decision any more.
I am replacing the AI Prime that‘s over my IM Lagoon 25 with a more power 90W fixture. Unfortunately I dont want to use two primes, I’m not particularly happy with the disco ball effect these give and mounting them to the back is problematic with the equipment I have.
So I am considering either the XR15 G5 Pro or the Kessil A360X - I’ve spent a lot of time watching the BRS videos and here’s where I’m at.
Since I don’t have a spectrometer I am using their data, the Kessil has a much wider spectrum the areas that count:
Including coverage in the 380-420nm range that most fixtures do not hit. I’m not sure what this matters, but the two goals I have are coloration (I want it to look good) and growth (I want the corals to grow well).
The Radion has a little better spread but narrow spectrum in the 420-500nm range:
I’m not particularly worried about the Kessil controller vs. Mobius app situation. I honestly think that knowing Kessil Logic had my back and I didn’t have an app to mess with might be better for me to some extent.
The thing I am trying to determine is: The Radion G5’s are very much the IN thing right now, I’m sure they’re great, but when I look at the data I can’t help but think there’s a better tool out there. I’d prefer to make this decision once, and not buy/rebuy equipment a few times to lock into a workable setup.
So my questions are thus: Do any current users of these lights have a reason they chose one or the other? And second, does that near UV range actually factor when it comes to coral health and growth?
I am replacing the AI Prime that‘s over my IM Lagoon 25 with a more power 90W fixture. Unfortunately I dont want to use two primes, I’m not particularly happy with the disco ball effect these give and mounting them to the back is problematic with the equipment I have.
So I am considering either the XR15 G5 Pro or the Kessil A360X - I’ve spent a lot of time watching the BRS videos and here’s where I’m at.
Since I don’t have a spectrometer I am using their data, the Kessil has a much wider spectrum the areas that count:
Including coverage in the 380-420nm range that most fixtures do not hit. I’m not sure what this matters, but the two goals I have are coloration (I want it to look good) and growth (I want the corals to grow well).
The Radion has a little better spread but narrow spectrum in the 420-500nm range:
I’m not particularly worried about the Kessil controller vs. Mobius app situation. I honestly think that knowing Kessil Logic had my back and I didn’t have an app to mess with might be better for me to some extent.
The thing I am trying to determine is: The Radion G5’s are very much the IN thing right now, I’m sure they’re great, but when I look at the data I can’t help but think there’s a better tool out there. I’d prefer to make this decision once, and not buy/rebuy equipment a few times to lock into a workable setup.
So my questions are thus: Do any current users of these lights have a reason they chose one or the other? And second, does that near UV range actually factor when it comes to coral health and growth?
Since you reference BRS videos on lighting they have some tests with others if you want to compare but if you narrowed it down the only thing I can offer is consider mounting, ascetics, and maintenance. Both will grow coral so maybe that will narrow it down for you.

