Kessil AP700 on Red Sea Reefer 250

Aaron Shapiro

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 22, 2019
Messages
413
Reaction score
265
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

Planning on getting water into my Red Sea Reefer 250 this week... To be proactive I started looking at light programs for a tank of that size. I could use some guidance on creating a program for this size tank... Any ideas on intensity/spectrum for a mixed reef of primarily softies and LPS??

Thanks

-a
 
Spectrum with an AP700 isn't going to really matter. Kessil logic makes it so you can choose whatever color you want and no matter what its optimized for coral. So it's all going to be personal preference on how blue or white you want your tank to look. As far as intensity, you'll want to keep it on the lower end. I would start out at around 25 to 30% intensity and ramp it up as needed for Softies and LPS, and mount the light somewhere around 7 to 8 " off the waters surface.
:)
 
Spectrum with an AP700 isn't going to really matter. Kessil logic makes it so you can choose whatever color you want and no matter what its optimized for coral. So it's all going to be personal preference on how blue or white you want your tank to look. As far as intensity, you'll want to keep it on the lower end. I would start out at around 25 to 30% intensity and ramp it up as needed for Softies and LPS, and mount the light somewhere around 7 to 8 " off the waters surface.
:)

Gotcha, so... I've got it around 7.5" off the waterline. You're saying I should make the max 25-30 and slowly adjust that up over the next month or so? I think it has an acclimcation setting iirc, maybe that would work?
 
Gotcha, so... I've got it around 7.5" off the waterline. You're saying I should make the max 25-30 and slowly adjust that up over the next month or so? I think it has an acclimcation setting iirc, maybe that would work?
Correct :) With softies and LPS you dont' have to turn it up a whole lot. I wouldn't go any higher than 50% intensity.
 
Totally agree with the great advice of @crabmcjones. I never got my AP700 over 35% on Blue#2, and it was about 6" above the water.
 
Get a par meter. I run kessils (360s) and they really don't put out a lot of par, at all. I would even put it at least 10-12 inches off the water.. You'll get way more spread.
 
Get a par meter. I run kessils (360s) and they really don't put out a lot of par, at all. I would even put it at least 10-12 inches off the water.. You'll get way more spread.
That's interesting, and I've read that too. My PAR meter indicates about 150 on the sand, and 225 up top. I actually lowered my intensity after reading my PAR. Corals look better for me now. I always recommend using a PAR meter.
 
That's interesting, and I've read that too. My PAR meter indicates about 150 on the sand, and 225 up top. I actually lowered my intensity after reading my PAR. Corals look better for me now. I always recommend using a PAR meter.

I have a 108 gal tank (525 xl) and 4 360s + 2 reef brites. Even at 95% intensity, the par is still not that much. Im getting probably 350-400 at the tops of my colonies. That's with 12 inches off the water. May just eventually have to add another LED strip
 
So I may have gotten too granular with this, but I wanted to mimic a saxby style program that you can download for AI's... Any thoughts??

IMG_0430.jpg
 
So I may have gotten too granular with this, but I wanted to mimic a saxby style program that you can download for AI's... Any thoughts??

IMG_0430.jpg
With saxby, you want it to peak right away, and then each peak afterwords lowers in intensity.
1572558477412.png


But if your schedule is working for you, I say stick with it :)
 
With saxby, you want it to peak right away, and then each peak afterwords lowers in intensity.
1572558477412.png


But if your schedule is working for you, I say stick with it :)

Haha well it's currently untested as the tank is still cycling... but that's basically what I was going for...

9am pops on deep blue
10am 10%
12pm 40% (my peak)
3pm starts to ramp for the first decline
from here it goes up and down 10% per hour
8pm starts to ramp down to a deep blue turn off at 10pm.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top