Kole tang , can I add a hippo ?

Pat 7412

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 19, 2016
Messages
16
Reaction score
5
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello , I have a 150 reef with a purple yellow eye tang, he's about 4" long and has been in the tank almost a year ,
Would there be an issue if I added a hippo tang ? Should I match size ?
The other tank mates are peacefully, foxface,2 gobies, firefish, 2 clowns.

If so , should I add the hippo alone ?
Or maybe at the same time with like 2 more peaceful fish ?
I have heard that you should add tangs at the same time but , I missed that boat..
But I have also heard the kole should be ok because the hippo is a different shape than the kole ..
Thoughts ? ? ?
 
I have a Powder Blue, Hippo and a Blue Lip Tang. All added at different times and all get along fine. I've had multiples in the past with no problems either. My old Purple Tang used to put new additions in their place when they were introduced. Would chase them around for a while, but they were all friends the next day.
 
Kole tangs are usually a more peaceful tang. Having a different body shape also helps.

Use a social acclimation box for introduction, and that can help mitigate some aggression.
 
Kole tangs are usually a more peaceful tang. Having a different body shape also helps.

Use a social acclimation box for introduction, and that can help mitigate some aggression.
X2 it's often hardest to add a single tang to a single established tang. It can go very well or very poorly.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top