lanthanum chloride in awc or top off

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 18, 2014
Messages
6,616
Reaction score
6,688
Location
Iowa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all (Dr Randy). I have awc system, DOS, and I swap out 2% a day. I was wondering when I make my saltwater reserve if I could add lanthanum chloride in the new salt so when that is slowly introduced over the day it would bind phosphate in the display or if it would become inactive over a month in the fresh saltwater reserve. Same question for ro/di water and lanthanum for top off.
 
I think the lanthanum chloride will precipitate as lanthanum carbonate from the new salt water, reducing alkalinity and becoming largely unusable.

So if you want to add it regularly, the fresh water top off is the way to go.
 
Thank you sir! I will stick with gfo for now, but putting lanthanum chloride in the ato water would be an easy option and free up sump space and an outlet.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top