Large yellow/white lump on my Springer Damsel

Yamo25000

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 15, 2021
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
York
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210515_134118.jpg


When I first noticed this spot on my damsel, it was white. I did some research and thought it might by lymphocystia, so I moved it to a quarantine tank, but now it looks yellow and less like a lump.

Aquarium is very new (about 4 weeks old) and tank mates are a blue spotted puffer, another springer damsel, a flame fin tang, a flame fin blennie, and a royal gramma.

I don't have the ability to get hard numbers on all my water conditions, I just have color-coded test strips. The salinity is right around 1.027

Is this a disease, injury, or something else? And should I quarantine?
 
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

That isn't Lymphocystis. It is most likely a bacterial or (rarely) a fungal disease. However, its location - right in the abdomen, is in a VERY serious spot! What tends to happen in these cases is that the fish's abdomen is breached, and the infection becomes systemic - the fish's internal organs have become infected. I see that the fish's right pelvic fin is almost totally eaten away. I'm afraid there isn't anything you can do for this fish - sorry!

It is unlikely that this issue will spread to your other fish, but you need to ensure the water quality is kept at its best. A specific gravity of 1.027 is a bit high - natural seawater is 1.025. If you can locate a good ammonia test kit, you should buy one to ensure that the ammonia level of the tank is kept at less than 0.25 ppm ammonia.

Jay
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top