Last fish on my list how to add safely?

mxkenlaw

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 29, 2019
Messages
10
Reaction score
3
What state or country do you live in
Wisconsin
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 gallon 6’ long tank.
I have a small (maybe 2”-3”) yellow eye kohl coming out of qt in another 2 weeks. The only other large fish I got is a fox face and a juvenile harlequin tusk. Got a green wrasse and flame angle who try to show there the boss but no real aggression issues in my tank so far. Also a pair of hosting clowns in a bta. And a pair of Lyretail Anthias witch only chase each other as one is turning male now. The other fish are two dragonets, tail spot blenny, fairy wrasse and blue head wrasse, trio of pj cardinals, pair of orange spot gobys I hope they hardly come out. As of right now my tank has been very peaceful besides the tusk eat all the hermit carbs and suspect number one on where my two larger cleaners went.

The final fish is like to add is.

Blue hippo tang (what size to buy? how long can I hold of with the yellow eye in dt?)

Springeri Dottyback, Captive-Bred (can I add 2 at the same time? And am I too late to add this fish in the tank?)

Flame hawk fish
Long nose hawk fish
(heard these to can get along in larger tanks. Or should I only pick one?)

Could add them all to my 55qt with live rock? should I break the new list into two groups?
Should I take any of the new fish off my list?

Thanks for all the help
 
Ive always heard that if your plan to add more than one tang they should be added at the same time or the one added later should be bigger than the one in the tank. That said I've never been able to keep more than one tang in my 120g for very long. :(

Personally I'd pick one hawk, those both get pretty large over time and I would expect it to be a problem, though maybe someone with actual experience keeping multiple hawks can talk about that more than me.
 
I have a 125 gallon 6’ long tank.
I have a small (maybe 2”-3”) yellow eye kohl coming out of qt in another 2 weeks. The only other large fish I got is a fox face and a juvenile harlequin tusk. Got a green wrasse and flame angle who try to show there the boss but no real aggression issues in my tank so far. Also a pair of hosting clowns in a bta. And a pair of Lyretail Anthias witch only chase each other as one is turning male now. The other fish are two dragonets, tail spot blenny, fairy wrasse and blue head wrasse, trio of pj cardinals, pair of orange spot gobys I hope they hardly come out. As of right now my tank has been very peaceful besides the tusk eat all the hermit carbs and suspect number one on where my two larger cleaners went.

The final fish is like to add is.

Blue hippo tang (what size to buy? how long can I hold of with the yellow eye in dt?)

Springeri Dottyback, Captive-Bred (can I add 2 at the same time? And am I too late to add this fish in the tank?)

Flame hawk fish
Long nose hawk fish
(heard these to can get along in larger tanks. Or should I only pick one?)

Could add them all to my 55qt with live rock? should I break the new list into two groups?
Should I take any of the new fish off my list?

Thanks for all the help
I have 3 Tangs in the same size aquarium, and I added them all at different times. I purchased my Yellow Tang first, about a month after he was put in, I added a Tomini Tang, and about a month after that I added a Sailfin Tang. I never had aggression issues at all.

My trick was: I fed the entire reef BEFORE I put the new Tang in. I also always feed on the same side everytime I feed the reef, so while everyone was distracted, I put the new Tang in on the other side. After the new Tang was in, I changed my lights from the normal cycle, to red. (In theory, fish can't see very well in red lighting, so it provokes them to go to their hiding place for safety. In the meantime, it allows the new arrival to swim a little bit without any harm. After about 30-60 mins under red lighting, I turn it to the moon cycle, and keep it that way for a couple hours, then ramp back up to normal cycle lights.

In all this time I observe whenever possible. When I put my Tomini Tang in with my Yellow, I was worried to death something bad was going to happen, however the only aggression I ever saw was my Yellow showing his tail to the Tomini, without striking him. When I put my Sailfin in, my Yellow Tang didn't bother him at all, but my Tomini showed his tail without striking. I hope this info helps!
 
I wouldn’t think your kole would be overly aggressive and their dissimilar appearance might eliminate most of the aggression with the tangs. They usually all spar a little at first, but I’ve only had a Powder Blue and Sohal that wouldn’t let up. My hippo will fight a little but it is the most biggest chicken of the bunch.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top