LED lighting swap for OCEANIC Biocube 29 suggestions please.

michael.e

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 5, 2018
Messages
6
Reaction score
2
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. I have been searching around the net and am having trouble finding an LED lighting swap for the older Oceanic version of the Biocube 29. I have found plenty of options for the Coralife/newer version of the Biocube 29. Evidently, the swaps are pretty specific to the Coralife. I’m pretty handy with rewiring things but the parts need to be laid out for my Oceanic version. Any ideas/beta? Thanks!
 
Also, it needs to be as thrifty as possible. This is a tank for my young son’s pleasure so low-tech is just fine.
 
The kast time I looked for a reteofit for a Oceanic Biocube I found only one it was at Steves Led's. I thinks its www.stevesleds.com. but do a search of steves keds and you should be avle to find it. Not Cheap. But a nice setup
 
Thank you Mark. Appreciate it. I did not realize these LED units were so expensive! Wow!
 
Steves or Rapid LED. You don't have to buy a kit - if you have some basic DIY skills then you can pick and choose heat sinks to fit and then add LED's. You can also see if Blue Acro has anything left - his multi-chips are nice. Basically you are looking for a good heat sink, some LED's to match your color criteria, and depending on what you plan to keep or grow down the road you can buy adjustable drivers and call it a day. I've wired up two 29 gallon bio cubes. One with Steve's retro kit and another using Cree's from Rapid LED with some MeanWell drivers.

Both worked well. Both kept anything. Steve's was a bit more closer to 20K in the spectrum line whereas with Rapid's I built it less. Do some searches and I think you will get the idea. It doesn't have to be super expensive though.
 
I have seen the Steve's in person. Several serious reefers I know use them. I would never do any other lighting for a cube.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top