Let’s see those uglies!

Here's my one year old and it's pretty cyano outbreak. Had GHA at around 4 months, which was gone in about two weeks on its own. Cyano has been about 1.5 months, no chemical cleaners. Just basting off corals, and siphoning out weekly. Starting to turn the corner now.
 

Attachments

  • 20220731_101652.jpg
    20220731_101652.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 20220731_101621.jpg
    20220731_101621.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 39
  • 20220815_171244.jpg
    20220815_171244.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 41
The stuff on the rocks is def coralline. I wish I had that much after 4 weeks. Lol thanks for sharing your tank. It a good looking reef and I like your aqua scape.
And I agree with all the different colors is actually kinda cool. I have red ,green, and brown. It reminds me of Xmas.
Highly doubt that is coralline on dry rocks after 4 weeks. Coralline usually shows up first on plastic and has a definitive disc shape. Usually takes a few months.
 
Don't worry too much about the uglies. This happens with dry rock, and all you can really do is let it do its thing. It does make for a good visual tracker of tank maturity, at least.
I have been the dry rock route, never again. I choose hitchhikers, which you will get anyway.
 
I havnt cycled a tank in probably 20 years, I keep alot of live rock thus no cycle, and fish and corals go in from day one. I wouldnt start a new tank any other way. Just makes things so easy from day 1. Sorry no uglies photos as digital cameras let alone phone cameras didn't exist, so maybe it's been more than 20 years. Come to think about it I'm not even sure if the internet was invented yet.
 
Here's my one year old and it's pretty cyano outbreak. Had GHA at around 4 months, which was gone in about two weeks on its own. Cyano has been about 1.5 months, no chemical cleaners. Just basting off corals, and siphoning out weekly. Starting to turn the corner now.
Here's my one year old and it's pretty cyano outbreak. Had GHA at around 4 months, which was gone in about two weeks on its own. Cyano has been about 1.5 months, no chemical cleaners. Just basting off corals, and siphoning out weekly. Starting to turn the corner now.
I’m hoping that’s where I’m at now. My tank is about to hit 3 mo and about the last month and a half has been cyano. I’m glad to hear that it’s turning around for you. Goes to show what a little perseverance can do.
 
Here's my one year old and it's pretty cyano outbreak. Had GHA at around 4 months, which was gone in about two weeks on its own. Cyano has been about 1.5 months, no chemical cleaners. Just basting off corals, and siphoning out weekly. Starting to turn the corner now.
What size tank is that?
 
Highly doubt that is coralline on dry rocks after 4 weeks. Coralline usually shows up first on plastic and has a definitive disc shape. Usually takes a few months.
What else could it be? It looks pinkish to me. Idk.
 
Who told you it was ok to add coral frags in such a new tank?
There was a post on here somewhere where a guy put fish and corals in from day one of his build. It was followed thru it’s entirety by @brandon… I forgot the rest of his tag. Lol
So I put corals in about a week after the nitrogen cycle was done. They are doing fairly well.
 
How are your corals going are they surviving the ugly stage alright? I have had my tank running for 2 months and I’m just getting diatoms and I’m trying to decide if I should wait longer before adding some softies.
 
This pic was taken august 6th. This is what my tank would look like about 3 days after manual removal and a water change
6A79B70C-C92F-4112-9186-91B6B81570C9.jpeg
these were taken a couple days ago after i siphoned the bed and cleaned the rock on Sunday. It doesn’t seem to be as aggressive as it was
D80F6EE7-7C54-4BC5-9946-0E339A6541D6.jpeg
9001BB28-597B-4E21-83A8-262387FE2C32.jpeg
 
How are your corals going are they surviving the ugly stage alright? I have had my tank running for 2 months and I’m just getting diatoms and I’m trying to decide if I should wait longer before adding some softies.
How are your corals going are they surviving the ugly stage alright? I have had my tank running for 2 months and I’m just getting diatoms and I’m trying to decide if I should wait longer before adding some softies.
They seem to be doing good. I clean the frags and feed them.
A6904215-B750-48B4-A564-C7FA27B185BE.jpeg
703C363B-8CB1-4B40-8243-04AB82D887D8.jpeg
B2868DCE-A7EB-4E18-B11C-ECA20435A7FB.jpeg
10A08173-E1DC-442A-BF8A-357D493826C9.jpeg
The Duncan when I got it had one head with 2 tiny heads on the side now they have grown out and I have four new heads growing.
 
Could be all kinds of stuff. But I don't think it is coralline. I could be wrong, just a photo on the internet to go on...
Could be all kinds of stuff. But I don't think it is coralline. I could be wrong, just a photo on the internet to go on...
I’ve looked up purple and pink algae online when I started seeing purple spots on my rock and the only thing that ever came up was coralline algae. There might be a purple Cyanobacteria but the tiny spots weren’t indicative of a cyano. I still don’t know if it’s coralline because some parts are a little washed out but that bright pink… some people have shown coraline at early stages like that. But who knows. Like you said it’s just a photo on the net.
 
The pink stuff on the sand? Poke it with something. If it's a hard crust on top, it's coraline, though I don't think coraline does that. If not, it's something else. I suppose coraline could theoretically grow on each individual sand grain? But that should be pretty obvious, if that's the case.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top