Let's see your Phytoplankton Culture Station

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jtk920
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Jtk920

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 2, 2021
Messages
45
Reaction score
19
Location
Neillsville
What state or country do you live in
Wisconsin
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cabinet on the right I built for culturing phytoplankton and growing copepods. 10 gallon on top is for amphipods.

IMG_20210401_150212546.jpg
 
2 led lights in the rear is by far enough light. The jar on the right is 1.5 gallons and started 2 days ago, 3 1 gallon in the rear started yesterday, and front left gallon are copepods.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20210401_150525_01.jpg
    IMG_20210401_150525_01.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 73
B06E9ED2-F084-46E0-95FF-DA84ADDB5260.jpeg

Think one of my car boys crashed but this is my set up. 10g frag tank and cabinet with light for phyto underneath
 
Are those the 5 gallon carboys? I have 4, 6 gallon that I thought about using, but I'm not about to life those all the time. How do you clean them?
 
Just 1 gallon. I rotate 4 new ones in every couple splits then clean the old ones with starsan
 
I've been experimenting with culturing phytoplankton and copepods this year. Here is the latest setup I am proposing to use. My goal is to have 2-3 batches of phytoplankton culturing up top (label A in photo), and some fresh saltwater (label B) and a copepod culture (label C) on the lower level. I modeled my phyto containers off of a design I saw at a LFS. I found 4-gallon acrylic containers for $95 online, but was able to make 1.375 gallon glass equivalents with supplies I had on-hand. Each container has a simple LED light that will be on a timer for 16 hours per day. An air pump with a gang valve will supply air to all containers at a controllable rate. Just finished it up this week. Going to get it up and running this weekend. Would be interested in hearing feedback from others with any suggestions to improve the design.
 

Attachments

  • 20210720_100702.jpg
    20210720_100702.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 20210720_100719 (1).jpg
    20210720_100719 (1).jpg
    117 KB · Views: 35

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top