Let's talk airstones and microbubbles IN the Display Tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter ZoWhat
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 23, 2014
Messages
10,270
Reaction score
18,007
Location
Cincinnati Ohio
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've read some issues with running an airstone through your display tanks powerhead;

1) it turns the surface of the DT into a skimmer,

2) fish can get some sort of gill-disease with microbubbles

3) microbubbles can irritate the tissue of corals

I want to talk about this bc I've run an airstone through my powerhead broadcasting microbubbles thruout the DT for a couple of years. I feel my o2/co2 exchange is better and cirals are better and growing more due to it.

1) since my system has two corner overflows, any skimming debris on the surface should overflow into the sump where it taken care of

2) ive never seen any fish problems with microbubbles

3) never seen microbubbles cause coral irritation. But im 95% LPS with zoas/palys. I could see how SPS Acros could get irritated, but not my problem. In fact, it raises pH and allows corals to gas-off quicker (imo)

Doesn't the Ocean Reefs have a lot of microbubbles from Waves???


.
 
Last edited:
So I've read some issues with running an airstone through your display tanks powerhead;

1) it turns the surface of the DT into a skimmer,

2) fish can get some sort of gill-disease with microbubbles

3) microbubbles can irritate the tissue of corals

I want to talk about this bc I've run an airstone through my powerhead broadcasting microbubbles thruout the DT for a couple of years. I feel my o2/co2 exchange is better and cirals are better and growing more due to it.

1) since my system has two corner overflows, any skimming debris on the surface should overflow into the sump where it taken care of

2) ive never seen any fish problems with microbubbles

3) never seen microbubbles cause corals to call it quits

Doesn't the Ocean Reefs have a lot of microbubbles from Waves???


.
I do this once every 2 weeks. Have a wood stone right at my return pump and apex runs the air pump for 2 hours. Runs from midnight to 2am. After doing it, my skimmer is loaded with gunk.

Never had issues with anything and keeps the tank clean. Even the rocks seem cleaner afterwards.

And I agree. Waves crashing on reefs creates tons of micro bubbles, so not sure what the issue is with them. I could be wrong though, but again never hurt a thing in my tanks.
 
I am afraid that I have nothing to contribute to this thread, but I am VERY curious to hear what everyone has to say about it. Tagging along for the ride.

Adam
 
My in tank Tunze skimmer often puts out lots of microbubbles. So far I haven't noticed any problems they have caused, fish all seem fine.
 
Some people use micro bubbles to "scrub" their tanks. "bubble scrub" no issues with bubbles and corals.
 
So I've read some issues with running an airstone through your display tanks powerhead;

1) it turns the surface of the DT into a skimmer,

2) fish can get some sort of gill-disease with microbubbles

3) microbubbles can irritate the tissue of corals

I want to talk about this bc I've run an airstone through my powerhead broadcasting microbubbles thruout the DT for a couple of years. I feel my o2/co2 exchange is better and cirals are better and growing more due to it.

1) since my system has two corner overflows, any skimming debris on the surface should overflow into the sump where it taken care of

2) ive never seen any fish problems with microbubbles

3) never seen microbubbles cause coral irritation. But im 95% LPS with zoas/palys. I could see how SPS Acros could get irritated, but not my problem. In fact, it raises pH and allows corals to gas-off quicker (imo)

Doesn't the Ocean Reefs have a lot of microbubbles from Waves???


.
Ah, you mean stuff like this;


 
Last edited:
Ah, you mean stuff like this;


Fear mongering....
Will Ferrell Reaction GIF
 
Every time I do a water change I leave an airstone in the tank just to aerate the tank. Never thought of that
 
Hi folks! I run air stone in my sump every night from 10pm to 6 am in the morning for the last 3 years. Never faced any problems
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top