LF/Show me DFS/LA Real Deal Echinata

  • Thread starter Thread starter poidog
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

poidog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 20, 2010
Messages
1,046
Reaction score
503
Location
Ft Lauderdale
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Does anyone out there still have the original (came out around 2010/2011) Drs. Forster and Smith - Live Aquaria Real Deal Echinata? Post your pics if you do (also I'll want a frag!). This was mine when I had it back before my tank break down.

ACtC-3dwdqFbO7vNTEDjsDbezzPGW3heaCtvp08G37fqhhL_NFDlX5YrtSBLCOCH2Dzj_FmzGC6C-7sL_NLlkUcJU996HsbMWPUDdE5W4kTYndyvXMbRxYo2CIgqKmnyR-djlJq39h2lyzWIfzvmUgIrtQ52=w640-h427-no

Ndl8TuR54aCLSyIqKJ3fZunYCfebxXBOG-ELGmZGDrKnXi4C4VSlxeCLi3g5JwQTyUbwkgizglb8t2yuDHR0_SqfQOwSwQaQzuNICimglvjk_dNFOea2J0bS3SfYWdsBGT7GtQtj_GlKIqLJHNxdX6-xCrKM7jbSCTt_758S1EswpkiLzhj1QrIaGaknm0HoKoiCk64F3Lm-j7CRS07u_-U96EWaBbhyEFy-PXwL9P66xD26uXbsZ_64J7elvMKCGCgRH2btIEOEJdO1gP7c5p1i70VeUxTQEpeYjLY1F6zv1NktGwCkjlm3n7zwCr8R-4DOEYXG3CEO43Od9zc6D--5MulT8Nbh5lT1nYoNd-cB43VEieEcA7Ua5fDKvRNECQMnqNmm_uV-XCsJ6cWAwzZpQMCWr1qj7SzUl1Vb6fcpYBXgd8MMTH-RCPa909S4dgbSsGPMS6N_JysEoU_GXhjqmy5uGodyAD6ft6n2y7Q-i3uZ33BrYXCwpDnAP_G5QTurrHdZt02T1t4ckkQY8mDM4pVHflc1yvetPgp9r7yzvy74I4obWxE0ewxSP9Z62lAl9iGgKRfymtTRa5x8c6N7SC_V-kzyCUbNlG-h5ICsB936BnpZZQrYk1DEN3XeKkU8dZBh4MTn0_SRUOqJjvrL8h1DzxdwNAodsc-zKnIc0Z0IWsjhC_3k1Iek=w1732-h1155-no
 
Curious about this as well. With all the wild ones coming in now I wonder if lineage to anything has been kept.
 
I've been checking in with Adam at Battle Corals about his Aussie Echinata. Looking for one without the green as well. I recently got a Ice Fire Echinata and it is nice, but has too much green for what I am looking for. When I last inquired In mid-April, Adam did not have an ETA on availability again. He did mentioned that the Aussie Echinata is his most finicky coral and it does not ship well. Here's the link:

 
I've been checking in with Adam at Battle Corals about his Aussie Echinata. Looking for one without the green as well. I recently got a Ice Fire Echinata and it is nice, but has too much green for what I am looking for. When I last inquired In mid-April, Adam did not have an ETA on availability again. He did mentioned that the Aussie Echinata is his most finicky coral and it does not ship well. Here's the link:

The one Adam has looks to be the same. When this was imported in there were several large pieces of the same colony that Live Aquaria acquired and sold off in their SPS section. They also kept some as broodstock to name and aquaculture out. I do remember it shipping "poorly" - as in it completely browns out, but once it settles in it's pretty robust and achieves amazing colors, frags kept their color as well. It likes to be blasted with light, these pics are it sitting at about 500 PAR.

_cfimg-3935332507076256610.png
101909-088a.jpg
 
Last edited:
It does come down to the actual coral but getting the white in the branches has a lot to do with light and nutrients. I have seen the white ones turn green in some tanks and the green ones turn white in some tanks. Would love to see any echi pics if anyone has one growing. I have stayed away from the wild ones because I just don’t have luck with them for some reason. I might try again if it was still in the bag from overseas won’t try any that have been sitting at a store unless it’s been a month or more but how often do you see an echi sitting at a store long term healthy?
The mint green purple tip ones on dd look cool and I thought about giving one a shot but figured I would see if anyone has had better luck with that variant first.
 
I’ve got a piece of a wild collected one. Frag turned all blue after cutting but is now turning back to blue and white with growth. Just starting to grow after a month of two. Hopefully it kicks into high gear soon.
 
I also agree that the green is due to building blocks and lighting. Real Tyree Ice Fire to most the imported wild Aussies can all get some green in them or just be pure white and blue with differing degrees of blue and white again dependent on light and building blocks. I think that most of these are the same. However, I am not talking about the ones that get brownish/cream inner branches since I have never seen these get as blue.

Anybody care to guess which one this is?
 
Beautiful growth on that piece. I will guess Tyree but it’s just a 50/50 shot since lineage has been the only difference I can really fsee rom just looking.
I have even seen the indo variants that are mostly green in the base color up pretty well but they do look slightly different. Once acclimated they seem to grow pretty well too. Haven’t seen any for sale yet though what’s up with that?
 
Last edited:
I also agree that the green is due to building blocks and lighting. Real Tyree Ice Fire to most the imported wild Aussies can all get some green in them or just be pure white and blue with differing degrees of blue and white again dependent on light and building blocks. I think that most of these are the same. However, I am not talking about the ones that get brownish/cream inner branches since I have never seen these get as blue.

Anybody care to guess which one this is?

Do you have a PAR estimate on that one?
 
Not specifically, but I do run 250w 14k Phoenix on real m80, so they get a lot of light everywhere in my tank. If I had to guess 375-400, but this is just a guess. I get about 250 in the sand and 600+ up top and this one is about half way down. More importantly, I have pretty near to NSW type of N and P at .1 and .005 to .015. I have 3 ppb at the moment of P - I just checked yesterday.

BTW - that is a wild piece that I got from Ed. I have a true Tyree Ice Fire (I got it from him, so it is real) and you could not tell the two apart if I did not tell you which was which. I don't get any photos of the Tyree since it is under a 24" wide glass brace.
 
Not specifically, but I do run 250w 14k Phoenix on real m80, so they get a lot of light everywhere in my tank. If I had to guess 375-400, but this is just a guess. I get about 250 in the sand and 600+ up top and this one is about half way down. More importantly, I have pretty near to NSW type of N and P at .1 and .005 to .015. I have 3 ppb at the moment of P - I just checked yesterday.

BTW - that is a wild piece that I got from Ed. I have a true Tyree Ice Fire (I got it from him, so it is real) and you could not tell the two apart if I did not tell you which was which. I don't get any photos of the Tyree since it is under a 24" wide glass brace.

It's a nice looking piece and that's a solid bulb and ballast choice.

I have an Aussie Echinata (I got from Adam) that turned all blue/purple after a bout with dinos. It's a long story, but the tank has stabilized (as I rebooted it with live rock by replacing the old dry rock). I'm hoping to pull some white out of the inner portions of the Aussie Echinata. It has likely gone dormant.
 
It is pretty good if you can even keep it alive - this is most of the battle. Most people cannot for long periods of time.

A true purple one would be really cool. The only purple that I have see are transition colors on their way to/from blue.
 
Did you see the mint green one with purple tips that pop up sometimes? Really curious how this one acclimates and colors up.
 
This thread prompted me to ping Adam again. He emailed me that he has 3 available, now 2, if anyone is interested. He does keep them in higher par to keep the white with cobalt blue look.
 
This thread prompted me to ping Adam again. He emailed me that he has 3 available, now 2, if anyone is interested. He does keep them in higher par to keep the white with cobalt blue look.
Did you ask him where he sourced his from?
 
I have been searching for this coral for a couple years now. When I had it, it came to me as a green Echinata and under bright light and low nutrients it’s turned blue and white. Not an easy coral to keep ime. I know several high level reefers losing it!
 
I got a nice one at a LFS a few months ago. They had it for over a month. It was decent looking there but all of the growth since it’s been in my tank has been nice crisp blue and white. I only bought it because it managed to survive at the store so long. I had always heard they are tough but mine has been doing great so far and is growing well. I actually have mine in pretty low light near the sand bed and my nutrients are definitely higher than I’d like. I tried getting a decent pic but the iPhone just won’t cut it.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top