Lighting Advice for Innovative Marine 20 Nuvo.

cliftonrouse

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 21, 2023
Messages
91
Reaction score
63
Location
Kinston
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the SmatFarm G5 from Amazon and do not like the looks of the light. Way to shimmery and hardly any blues IMO. I am back to the hobby after 10 years, so I come from the Metal Halide/T5 Days. I also tried to order the Noopsyche Pro V3 and after 13 days with no shipping or no communciation, I think I am back to the start again. My range is $100-300. What would be my best solution for this tank? I plan to run a mixed reef with some higher intensity corals.
 
Start with an AI Blade Grow and go from there. Used is also a great way to save some money. Might be able to find a couple AI Primes for a good deal
 
Any other ideas? I have the AI Primes on my mind. The burnt lens problem does seem to worry me a bit though.
 
I have a Nuvo 10 (12" length) that I ran with a single Prime for almost 3 years, and a Nuvo 30L (36" length) that's been running with 3 Primes for over 3 years. I mean, if I had the 24" Nuvo 20, I'd run a pair of Primes. :D

I wouldn't worry too much about lens melt. Keep the fans clean and wipe down the lenses weekly with a damp cloth. You likely won't have to run the lights anywhere near their max to get the PAR you need, even for " higher intensity" coral (I assume you mean SPS?).

The Blade would also be an option, but you would need at least 2, a Grow and a Glow to get a spectrum similar (but still not as good, IMO) to what you'd get with the Primes.
 
I have a Nuvo 10 (12" length) that I ran with a single Prime for almost 3 years, and a Nuvo 30L (36" length) that's been running with 3 Primes for over 3 years. I mean, if I had the 24" Nuvo 20, I'd run a pair of Primes. :D

I wouldn't worry too much about lens melt. Keep the fans clean and wipe down the lenses weekly with a damp cloth. You likely won't have to run the lights anywhere near their max to get the PAR you need, even for " higher intensity" coral (I assume you mean SPS?).

The Blade would also be an option, but you would need at least 2, a Grow and a Glow to get a spectrum similar (but still not as good, IMO) to what you'd get with the Primes.
This is what I am leaning towards. 2 Primes. Also considering 1 XR 15 Blue. Torn
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top