Lighting for a 3 foot wide, 22 inch deep tank?

arkodios

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 18, 2021
Messages
48
Reaction score
16
Location
Delray Beach
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on getting a Proclear Prostar 90, which is 3 feet long and 22 inches deep. I want to run a mixed reef and eventually have acropora, so I need strong lighting. I don’t think 2 AI Primes will be enough. I also may run a hybrid T5-LED system eventually, is this ideal?
 
Is 36x22" the length and width?
 
Definitely NOT Ai primes. I run a 30” deep tank with Kessil ap700 and Reefbrite XHO do the job very well.
 
I also may run a hybrid T5-LED system eventually, is this ideal?
I think it's probably always ideal to add T5, for shading and growth. But not everyone like the look.

I think Primes would work fine, but you might want 3 instead of 2 eventually as things fill in. You're right, I wouldn't call them powerful at only 59 watts at full power.

There are lots of LED choices, depending on budget and features you want. Neptunes and Stratons are a couple hundred watts each.
 
2 @noopsyche K7 V3. Great light reasonable price. There are plenty of forums discussing these lights on here. You will not go wrong.
 
i looked at the prostar aquarium as well and decided to pass as it looks like it only has a durso overflow (very loud). Others like red sea or innovative marine have herbie or bean animal overflows which are a lot quieter

for lighting there are so many options, but knowing your budget and what you want for lighting spectrum or shimmer will help a ton. Do you like a blue light like ecotech ab+ or want more shimmer like the kessil? Full coverage t5 or similar like the ati straton?
 
I have a 36" x 24" frag tank. I originally bought 2 xr 15's for the tank to have mainly sps in after reading recommendations. I couldn't event get 300 PAR at the bottom of the aquarium 11" deep. I cant remember exactly what I was getting. I posted it somewhere here on the forum. Couldn't try and fit a 3rd, because of overflow in middle and didn't want to hang lights over the middle. I put 2 xr 30's on it and I will never look back. Everything in aquarium has awesome colors. Works great for me and i added diffusers which really makes even spread. Didn't have to worry about the loss of PAR :)
 
I have a 36" x 24" frag tank. I originally bought 2 xr 15's for the tank to have mainly sps in after reading recommendations. I couldn't event get 300 PAR at the bottom of the aquarium 11" deep. I cant remember exactly what I was getting. I posted it somewhere here on the forum. Couldn't try and fit a 3rd, because of overflow in middle and didn't want to hang lights over the middle. I put 2 xr 30's on it and I will never look back. Everything in aquarium has awesome colors. Works great for me and i added diffusers which really makes even spread. Didn't have to worry about the loss of PAR :)
Really?
 
You can see what I originally tried with the xr15's in my build thread. i need to update it now as much as changed. i sold those quickly as they were not up for the task I set out. My loss was someone else's gain.
 
3 feet long and 22 inches deep
I recommend 2 K7 V3 140watt. Same as the 95watt K7 PRO II, it will be perfect if K7 V3 run with hybrid T5-LED system.

1653989705846.png
1653989819936.png
 
2 @noopsyche K7 V3. Great light reasonable price. There are plenty of forums discussing these lights on here. You will not go wrong.
Do you think one K7 V3 will be sufficient for a 36x18x21 aquarium? I found a deal on just one and need to know if it’ll work with my set up.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top