Lighting for a softie lps and easy sps Waterbox

tee1172

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 1, 2020
Messages
32
Reaction score
75
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lighting can I use for softie lps and beginning sps on my Waterbox 50.3? People say the Radion XR 15, would I need one or two? Also some say AI 16 can I just use 2 or do I need 3? Any help would be great..
 
Do you have a preference for how the lights should be mounted? (ex: hanging or using an arm). Any other preferences or features?
 
I think an XR15 would allow you to grow basically anything. But the edges may be quite darker than the middle. 2 AI primes would probably give the most even coverage if you could afford it.

I think it's a good idea to get the idea out of your head that SPS = bright and softie = dim

There are many soft corals that look their best under the brightest lights you can provide and many SPS corals that come from deeper water that will be stressed by "SPS lighting". Really dig down and understand the specific habitat each coral comes from and think about what parts of your tank create that environment.

LPS corals are almost all lower light but there are plenty of them that are found in the shallowest reefs too.
 
What lighting can I use for softie lps and beginning sps on my Waterbox 50.3? People say the Radion XR 15, would I need one or two? Also some say AI 16 can I just use 2 or do I need 3? Any help would be great..
Both AI 16 and Radeon XR15 have same coverage of 24"x24", so you would need two of them for more even spread. I have AI 16, but use them on my mini frag quarantine (30G) tank, I would imagine that they would be adequate for your purpose. I would probably choose Radeon for a real Reef Tank, but AI is much more affordable. If you choose AI, I do not recommend gooseneck mount, they are flimsy.
 
I think an XR15 would allow you to grow basically anything. But the edges may be quite darker than the middle. 2 AI primes would probably give the most even coverage if you could afford it.

I think it's a good idea to get the idea out of your head that SPS = bright and softie = dim

There are many soft corals that look their best under the brightest lights you can provide and many SPS corals that come from deeper water that will be stressed by "SPS lighting". Really dig down and understand the specific habitat each coral comes from and think about what parts of your tank create that environment.

LPS corals are almost all lower light but there are plenty of them that are found in the shallowest reefs too.
I'm really just asking because I need lighting and wanted to buy once. I'm coming from a bio cube
 
Do you have a preference for how the lights should be mounted? (ex: hanging or using an arm). Any other preferences or features?
they would have to be using an arm
 
Both AI 16 and Radeon XR15 have same coverage of 24"x24", so you would need two of them for more even spread. I have AI 16, but use them on my mini frag quarantine (30G) tank, I would imagine that they would be adequate for your purpose. I would probably choose Radeon for a real Reef Tank, but AI is much more affordable. If you choose AI, I do not recommend gooseneck mount, they are flimsy.
would I be able to do one AI 32? I just curious.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top