Lighting up 50g 30x24x16" shallow for sps

daybreaksky

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 7, 2020
Messages
287
Reaction score
404
Location
Rochester
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I'm returning from over a decade long break and when I quit MH and T5 were king.
I have a IM 50 lagoon on order it's 30x24x16" and I plan on eventually keeping acros and other sps. Before I started doing research, I was just going to DIY a 6 or 8 bulb T5 just because I know how to and I'm comfortable knowing what I can keep under it.
However, as I do more research, LED sounds waaaaaaay better. One problem, my head is spinning trying to figure out which light to get. I don't plan on having 100% of space covered in coral, I'd rather do minimalist aqua scape and I like the clean look of LED fixtures so I want to say away from t5 entirely. I'm also not planning on getting Apex or other centralized controllers. my budget is under $500 if possible.


any help appreciated :)
 
I have the same tank on order, and also struggling with lighting options. I was/am considering the Current USA Dual IC Pro 24”, because I like the sleek look, control options with the Loop, and price point. However, dispute their PAR chart estimates, I am being told they don’t support coral growth very well. So I will be curious to hear what others have to say
 
Orphek or3 bars have good spectrum and coverage. You can also mix them with other leds just like you would t5s.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top