Lights for Aquatic Life 61" T5 hybrid

ZsWithTheFishes

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 21, 2018
Messages
146
Reaction score
167
What state or country do you live in
Oklahoma
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/60-h...re-with-led-mounting-system-aquatic-life.html

Does anyone else have one of these fixtures? What T5Ho bulbs would you recommend? Where do you get yours? What length would you recommend?

How about LEDs?

Tank is a 6 foot 220 gallon that has just started cycling with LR&DR. With the 30 inch water depth I want to make sure that I will have enough light to support at least medium-light-requirement corals at the bottom of the tank. I'm thinking of starting out with 2x Kessil A360W-E Tuna Blue and 2 T5HO, and then adding the remaining T5HO and finally the 2 additional LEDs (maybe different than the kessils...) when I start getting corals in. Thoughts?
 
You will get all kinds of suggestions primarily based on what people have themselves. I only suggest that in my experience you will likely want to jump to corals sooner than you think so if you can afford it, I would go for the optimal system now. There are numerous systems that will work. Would suggest using BRS videos to help with your research.
 
I have the 3 foot fixture and I love it. I used 2 blue+ and 2 coral+ alternating them. I'd recommend if you are going to use 2 360s to just buy the ap700. It's about the same price but twice the light.
 
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/60-h...re-with-led-mounting-system-aquatic-life.html

Does anyone else have one of these fixtures? What T5Ho bulbs would you recommend? Where do you get yours? What length would you recommend?

How about LEDs?

Tank is a 6 foot 220 gallon that has just started cycling with LR&DR. With the 30 inch water depth I want to make sure that I will have enough light to support at least medium-light-requirement corals at the bottom of the tank. I'm thinking of starting out with 2x Kessil A360W-E Tuna Blue and 2 T5HO, and then adding the remaining T5HO and finally the 2 additional LEDs (maybe different than the kessils...) when I start getting corals in. Thoughts?
I have the 61” hybrid with kessil 360we on my 180 gallon tank. I use 6 kessils (I had the kessils before I bought the t5 hybrid...they just kept growing in numbers, partly because of my bracing). My t5 are 2 blue plus and 2 coral plus. My system is great (though I’m not a heavy stick guy). An earlier poster was correct, you will gets lots of recommendations here.
 
I have the exact same fixture (61”) and I use ATI coral plus and blue. For LEDs, I use 3 Radion 30 pros and keep them around 55%. I don’t run the T5s at the same time as the Radions because the par is to high (350 at top 200 on bottom) and I don’t have SPS yet. Actually I don’t even have corals in there yet. Waiting a few more months. Lights are about 16 inches from water.

11491ABB-ABC9-40A1-A736-6C9AA30B1D45.jpeg
 
I only suggest that in my experience you will likely want to jump to corals sooner than you think so if you can afford it, I would go for the optimal system now.

I have two fish rooms worth of $$ to drain and maintenance to do - I am in no rush to have corals or even fish in this one. I do want to have components that I won't be replacing though (except for the T5s, which I will have to replace soon enough).

I have the 61” hybrid with kessil 360we on my 180 gallon tank. I use 6 kessils (I had the kessils before I bought the t5 hybrid...they just kept growing in numbers, partly because of my bracing). My t5 are 2 blue plus and 2 coral plus. My system is great (though I’m not a heavy stick guy). An earlier poster was correct, you will gets lots of recommendations here.

I have the exact same fixture (61”) and I use ATI coral plus and blue. For LEDs, I use 3 Radion 30 pros and keep them around 55%. I don’t run the T5s at the same time as the Radions because the par is to high (350 at top 200 on bottom) and I don’t have SPS yet. Actually I don’t even have corals in there yet. Waiting a few more months. Lights are about 16 inches from water.

11491ABB-ABC9-40A1-A736-6C9AA30B1D45.jpeg

It sounds like I can get away with 2 coral plus and possibly 2 blues for now and wait on the LEDs since they will be a longer-term commitment. I found the 60" bulbs which is what I'm assuming you guys are using.
 
I have two fish rooms worth of $$ to drain and maintenance to do - I am in no rush to have corals or even fish in this one. I do want to have components that I won't be replacing though (except for the T5s, which I will have to replace soon enough).





It sounds like I can get away with 2 coral plus and possibly 2 blues for now and wait on the LEDs since they will be a longer-term commitment. I found the 60" bulbs which is what I'm assuming you guys are using.
I agree, you could start with T5’s, then add others later. Yep, 60 inch bulbs. I think you’ll be happy. Good luck.
 
Looking to get the same light. I’m planning on going with ati blue+ bulbs
 
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/60-h...re-with-led-mounting-system-aquatic-life.html

Does anyone else have one of these fixtures? What T5Ho bulbs would you recommend? Where do you get yours? What length would you recommend?

How about LEDs?

Tank is a 6 foot 220 gallon that has just started cycling with LR&DR. With the 30 inch water depth I want to make sure that I will have enough light to support at least medium-light-requirement corals at the bottom of the tank. I'm thinking of starting out with 2x Kessil A360W-E Tuna Blue and 2 T5HO, and then adding the remaining T5HO and finally the 2 additional LEDs (maybe different than the kessils...) when I start getting corals in. Thoughts?
I was actually looking at this fixture. I am currently in the middle of a build and was going to go with good old halide and T5 like in the old days. I have been out of the hobby for a while but, now am leaning towards T5 and LED. I too would like to know if anyone has experience with this fixture to see how they like the way it performs for them.
 
I was actually looking at this fixture. I am currently in the middle of a build and was going to go with good old halide and T5 like in the old days. I have been out of the hobby for a while but, now am leaning towards T5 and LED. I too would like to know if anyone has experience with this fixture to see how they like the way it performs for them.
I think I had the best results ever with MH and VHO. Some people that tried LED went back to MH. Most of us stayed with LED and T5’s it seems. I think the more that you are a hard core acro guy, the more likely you’ll want MH over LED. Just my opinion...
 
I was actually looking at this fixture. I am currently in the middle of a build and was going to go with good old halide and T5 like in the old days. I have been out of the hobby for a while but, now am leaning towards T5 and LED. I too would like to know if anyone has experience with this fixture to see how they like the way it performs for them
I don't have the 5 ft one but I have the 3ft one and it works great for me. I started with LED lights alone and lost my fair share of corals. There were too many options with the lights and way too many opinions on what to run them at. I bought the t5 fixture, put my LED lights in it and ran just the t5 to start with. Corals responded beautifully and actually started growing and coloring up. I added LED back in over a month and the corals continued growing well. I run my LED lights at 8% and let the t5 do all the work. It adds a nice shimmer and depth to my tank and let's me ramp up and down so the tank doesn't go from lights on to lights off instantly. I'd never go back to LED alone again. I'm currently in a new build and bought another fixture for it.
 
Sweet! Good feedback. I ran 20,000k halides with blue and purple actions and moonlights on my old tank. Corals, clams, and such did pretty well. I had two 250 watt halides on a 150 gallon tank that was 48"L x 24"W x 32"H.
 
I don't have the 5 ft one but I have the 3ft one and it works great for me. I started with LED lights alone and lost my fair share of corals. There were too many options with the lights and way too many opinions on what to run them at. I bought the t5 fixture, put my LED lights in it and ran just the t5 to start with. Corals responded beautifully and actually started growing and coloring up. I added LED back in over a month and the corals continued growing well. I run my LED lights at 8% and let the t5 do all the work. It adds a nice shimmer and depth to my tank and let's me ramp up and down so the tank doesn't go from lights on to lights off instantly. I'd never go back to LED alone again. I'm currently in a new build and bought another fixture for it.

Great info. I've been able to switch to LEDs on all of my other tanks, and I've really liked everything that you have mentioned - shimmer & sunrise sunset. The biggest difference for me has been the one percent night setting when I get home late from work. There are some days I wasn't getting able to see my tanks at all, and I like watching them doing nighttime things. The only ones that I've been rethinking are my other reef and high-tech planted tanks, the LEDs just don't have the juice. This tank is deeper than the other as well, and I wanted to try to grow something a little more demanding. I'm glad to hear the positive reviews.
 
I have The 36" with 4 Ati blue+ and two Radion XR30 pro's

IMG_0997.JPG
 
My tank is 36" high. I wanted to make sure I can get light to the bottom.
 
You will get all kinds of suggestions primarily based on what people have themselves. I only suggest that in my experience you will likely want to jump to corals sooner than you think so if you can afford it, I would go for the optimal system now. There are numerous systems that will work. Would suggest using BRS videos to help with your research.
Agreed!
 
We have an 84” tank with two 36” fixtures and 4 kessils. Use blue+ and coral+. This was in the building stages.
ff3c4eb515ad217ca127d5dea146f756.jpg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top