Live rock versus maybe a block in a sump?

I have several pieces of pukani in my sump. As Pukani is more porous then most other live rock. I can say there looks to be a different type of coating and color on the rock in my sump opposed to the rock in my DT. They claim rock that is always dark host different bacteria then areas that get lit. Whether this is true or not. I do not know. Seems plausible though.
 
I used liverock and a remote DSB in my sump for years. In theory it provided a place for additional beneficial bacteria and copepods. All I know is that I had a successful tank for years with this set up.
 
I like Seachem Matrix. It is dense enough that it also works on Nitrate, most of the blocks and spheres do not. They are too porous, great for ammonia and nitrite but not nitrate.
It does not fall apart, it does not leach anything. Great alternative to live rock.
Just toss a bag in...
 
Last edited:
Have you considered leaving that chamber empty until you have some experience behind you to guide your decisions? Of course you could always empty it later but you don't have to decide everything up front.
I actually do have reactor in there also
 
I like Seachem Matrix. It is dense enough that it also works on Nitrate.
Most of the blocks and spheres do not. They are too porous, great for ammonia and nitrite but not nitrate.
It does not fall apart, it does not leach anything. Great alternative to live rock.
Just toss a bag in...
This is one of the products I was considering. I’m actually surprised more people don’t use it. Thanks!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top