Livestock from a tank with dinoflagellates

  • Thread starter Thread starter becks
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

becks

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
May 22, 2016
Messages
815
Reaction score
546
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a small shallow reef, which I will transfer or frag some corals from my DT and a BTA.

My tank has dinoflagellates, which is under control, every now and then I will have a small outbreak but I can control and beat back.

Is there any thing I can do to prevent introducing them to the shallow reef tank?
 
It will be very difficult to kill 100% of dino's if they are attached to any frag you are moving. Your best bet may be to scrub the frag base/plug with hydrogen peroxide with a toothbrush to kill any attached dinos. Be sure to only brush the base or plug and not the coral itself (hydrogen peroxide is a strong algaecide). Rinse thoroughly in tank water and place in the new aquarium.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top