Longspine Urchin Tank Size and compatibility with nems

Clown2020

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 6, 2021
Messages
164
Reaction score
115
Location
NZ
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

What is a safe minimum tank size for a long spine urchin and thaughts on how they would do in a tank where 1/3 is nem covered rock?

Thanks
 
I have a Diadema Setosa in a 40g breeder and everyone seems to be doing fine. It hasn't munched on any of my SPS, LPS or Zoas. It does crawl all over then, however. Just my experience.

It doesn't come too close to any of my nems (Malu, rock flower and mini carpets).

To be honest, I am probably pushing the lower size limit of tank. THE GROW REALLY FAST!! In the wild, i believe they can get almost basketball size. I bought it < 6 months ago and it went from golf ball to softball size (spine tip to spine tip). Once they get big, they can easily inflict a bee sting like injury and the longer, thinner spines DO break off in the puncture.

I have not regretted it yet and my Banghaii Cardinal loves it.
 
They can feel their environment and wont randomly poke nems , I’d say 75g min, I had one in a 40b thst got to basketball size and had to go lol, if you put ye hand near them alll their spines direct to yr hand very cool without eyes
 
I had one in my 75G. He eventually got to 1/3 the width of my tank and I had to rehome him before a fish got skewered. I got stabbed in the hand and one of my gobies had a broken piece of spine get stuck in his mouth. Very awesome invert though.
 
They can feel their environment and wont randomly poke nems , I’d say 75g min, I had one in a 40b thst got to basketball size and had to go lol, if you put ye hand near them alll their spines direct to yr hand very cool without eyes
Urchins and most echinoderms have eyes, they're just very simple. Really they just detect the differences in light. Still cool though.
 
Urchins and most echinoderms have eyes, they're just very simple. Really they just detect the differences in light. Still cool though.
Really? Every source I’ve read said they don’t have eyes but rather sense things with their spines / feet and can sense light
 
Really? Every source I’ve read said they don’t have eyes but rather sense things with their spines / feet and can sense light
I mean, it depends on your definition of eyes. In reality, it's a specialized cluster of light-detecting cells usually on the end of a modified tube-foot. Most people would call those eyes, but if you're being technical then no, they're not really eyes. On sea stars, they're usually one on the tip of each arm.
 
I mean, it depends on your definition of eyes. In reality, it's a specialized cluster of light-detecting cells usually on the end of a modified tube-foot. Most people would call those eyes, but if you're being technical then no, they're not really eyes. On sea stars, they're usually one on the tip of each arm.
Ye I need this to count lol but urchins/ stars are soo cool nonetheless
 

Attachments

  • 75546C74-E9AE-4588-93BA-A59E6220E92F.jpeg
    75546C74-E9AE-4588-93BA-A59E6220E92F.jpeg
    119.8 KB · Views: 58
I don't think there's a minimum size for a long spine urchin, or any urchin for that matter; just a minimum food source.

As for size, they get HUGE in a hurry. They can reach a size where you swear they could touch your front glass and back glass at the same time.

No problem at all with nems. People talk about urchins knocking everything over but that's not the case with long spines. Watching them weave through your acropora and other precious corals is a thing of beauty. They are astonishingly agile.

Going back to food, that's the big question with any urchin. I think they grow, their metabolism isn't satisfied and they starve. They're easy to keep but you have to keep them fed. They will benefit from stuff like nori too.
 
Was thinking of trying to get one to help clean up a bit of a hair and alge outbreak, which is now slowly starting to come under control through other means.

Im thinking my 32 gallon flex is gonna be too small long term cause if it gets huge its literally gonna have to sit on 1/3 of my coral.
 
Was thinking of trying to get one to help clean up a bit of a hair and alge outbreak, which is now slowly starting to come under control through other means.

Im thinking my 32 gallon flex is gonna be too small long term cause if it gets huge its literally gonna have to sit on 1/3 of my coral.
I had a 24g AIO for years while I was moving a lot and kept a long spine for many years. They're as cool as a coral to me. Their shape becomes part of the aquascape.

I have the feeling that smaller tank sizes may limit their size or growth rate. The couple I had in the 24g reached about half the size over a few years that the ones I put in my 90g do now in a few months.
 
Was thinking of trying to get one to help clean up a bit of a hair and alge outbreak, which is now slowly starting to come under control through other means.

Im thinking my 32 gallon flex is gonna be too small long term cause if it gets huge its literally gonna have to sit on 1/3 of my coral.
I have a grey short spine urchin now. He seems to have a more aggressive taste for GHA than my long spine did. He will relocate any polyp/frag that isn't glued down though.
 
I don't think there's a minimum size for a long spine urchin, or any urchin for that matter; just a minimum food source.

As for size, they get HUGE in a hurry. They can reach a size where you swear they could touch your front glass and back glass at the same time.

No problem at all with nems. People talk about urchins knocking everything over but that's not the case with long spines. Watching them weave through your acropora and other precious corals is a thing of beauty. They are astonishingly agile.

Going back to food, that's the big question with any urchin. I think they grow, their metabolism isn't satisfied and they starve. They're easy to keep but you have to keep them fed. They will benefit from stuff like nori too.
I agree completely! They are fun to watch move. They move delicately, but surprisingly fast when they want.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top