Looking for chiller recommendation 500g - Garage Tank

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 14, 2011
Messages
1,028
Reaction score
493
Location
Silicon Valley - Ca
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Average summer temps in the 88F, with overnight lows of 55F. Occasionally we'll hit around 105 with nights in the 80s - but its rare. Running on fans - I've hit 87 in tank a few times the last couple of years but the evaporation and humidity in the garage was excessive.

What are peoples opinion of drop-ins as opposed to flow through chillers?

And any opinions experiences with Aqua-logic or Trade-wind brands?

Are there other brands that you might recommend.

Thanks for any feedback...

Robert.
 
I have a trade winds super 1/3 HP. Amazing little beast. Super reliable and very quick to cool down my 230 gallon tank (total volume)
 
Thanks - I've seen good reviews of the trade winds chillers. Do you have the drop in or flow through? Hows the noise?

I'm debating 1/3 or 1/2 hp. 1/3 is a little small for the hottest days but I probably could get away with it with the help of a fan.
 
Thanks - I've seen good reviews of the trade winds chillers. Do you have the drop in or flow through? Hows the noise?

I'm debating 1/3 or 1/2 hp. 1/3 is a little small for the hottest days but I probably could get away with it with the help of a fan.
Is garage insulated
 
I’ve had a few chillers over the years. TradeWinds hands down my favorite. I’m using the 3/4HP on my system (approx 700 gallons). Probably could get away with 1/2HP, but I bought it second hand so BCBC.
 
Garage is not insulated but its big - so it doesn't heat too quickly..usually by the time the sun is going down its cool enough outside to open the door and everything is ok. But occasionally we'll get some humidity for a few days and then I'm in trouble. Luckily I've not been out of town so I can lights out during the hot spells and I've avoided any disasters - but I'm going to get caught soon or later.

Seems like Trade winds has a good rep...I've not found anything negative...and they carry good price.

Anyone use the drop-in models? What do you think of them? Are they more efficient?
 
Ok this may sound super odd. But I e always wondered cause I have my filtration for my tank going into my garage. But just as an experiment. Buying a cheap used fridge and cutting 2 small holes and run tubing alltbrough out it. Hey it’s just an idea to try out. Cause I see used fridges for cheap all the time. And a couple bucks of tubing. Food for thought.
 
Ok this may sound super odd. But I e always wondered cause I have my filtration for my tank going into my garage. But just as an experiment. Buying a cheap used fridge and cutting 2 small holes and run tubing alltbrough out it. Hey it’s just an idea to try out. Cause I see used fridges for cheap all the time. And a couple bucks of tubing. Food for thought.


After four years, I finally ran enough power over to my tank so that I don't have to run 4 extension cords across the floor from different circuits...
I have every intention of doing it right this time...I think...at least I plan to. But I'll keep the thought in mind. I'm already running a pool filter and pump.
Don't encourage me.
 
Ok this may sound super odd. But I e always wondered cause I have my filtration for my tank going into my garage. But just as an experiment. Buying a cheap used fridge and cutting 2 small holes and run tubing alltbrough out it. Hey it’s just an idea to try out. Cause I see used fridges for cheap all the time. And a couple bucks of tubing. Food for thought.

I tried that 20 years ago - it doesn't work. The reason it doesn't work, obvious to me now perhaps not so then, is that a fridge is sized to be able to keep a confined space cool not a continuously replenished heat source. Doesn't have nearly the BTUs to be useful on all but the smallest of tanks.
 
It would probably be more cost effective in the long run to insulate the garage and run a window/portable room AC unit to just cool the ambient air in the garage, not to mention make it a lot more fun to maintain it on those hot days.
 
Its a finished garage so there's no insulating it without a lot of work. Plus I just laid Plywood in the attic over it for storage. Would have been a good idea.

Son saw my post and bought be a 3/4HP Trade Winds - going to install it outside and plumb through the walls back to the tank. Looks about ideal for what I need.
Appreciate all the advice and feedback.
 
Cool stuff. You should get your son to buy you solar panels too. [emoji57]

Too late - I already broke down and bought them...how else could I afford the power to run a chiller...this is Cali, where everyone gets discounted power except the taxpayer...
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top