- Joined
- Oct 30, 2018
- Messages
- 105
- Reaction score
- 53
- What state or country do you live in
- Pennsylvania
Hi,
I'm in the process of putting up a new 75 gallon tank. This is going to be sumpless with a tunze 9012 protein skimmer and some sort of filter with filter floss. Since I do not have a sump I don't have a large place to grow macroalgea. I've always used some sort of macro algae and want to incorporate that in this tank. I know algae in the display tank would help with excess nutrients to some extent however I usually also do a reverse lighting schedule to maintain PH at night.
So to get to my question, other than aesthetics, is there anything wrong with building a small acrylic box to stick on the inside top corner of the tank and have it lit by a Kessil H80 at night? A somewhat cheaper alternative is to use knitting mesh that I've used in the past. This would be more noticeable but would probably provide better flow. I was planning on making this maybe something like a 6x6 cube with some slits in it for water movement. I assume something like this would not provide the flow that chato prefers but I think I could reasonably grow sea lettuce or ogo in this setup. Does anyone see any reason not to do this? Or maybe better alternatives? I don't have the room or the money for a CO2 scrubber and the way my apartment is set up, especially with the winter coming, all windows are usually kept close. PH has always been an issue with me in the past so I'm trying to think proactively here. Any thoughts are welcome here.
I'm in the process of putting up a new 75 gallon tank. This is going to be sumpless with a tunze 9012 protein skimmer and some sort of filter with filter floss. Since I do not have a sump I don't have a large place to grow macroalgea. I've always used some sort of macro algae and want to incorporate that in this tank. I know algae in the display tank would help with excess nutrients to some extent however I usually also do a reverse lighting schedule to maintain PH at night.
So to get to my question, other than aesthetics, is there anything wrong with building a small acrylic box to stick on the inside top corner of the tank and have it lit by a Kessil H80 at night? A somewhat cheaper alternative is to use knitting mesh that I've used in the past. This would be more noticeable but would probably provide better flow. I was planning on making this maybe something like a 6x6 cube with some slits in it for water movement. I assume something like this would not provide the flow that chato prefers but I think I could reasonably grow sea lettuce or ogo in this setup. Does anyone see any reason not to do this? Or maybe better alternatives? I don't have the room or the money for a CO2 scrubber and the way my apartment is set up, especially with the winter coming, all windows are usually kept close. PH has always been an issue with me in the past so I'm trying to think proactively here. Any thoughts are welcome here.

