Looking for Light suggestions for a 48x24x16 tank!

Reefer_NYC

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 10, 2020
Messages
341
Reaction score
251
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Looking for Light suggestions for a 48x24x16 tank!

Mixed reef lps on bottom, sps towards the top.

What would you go with and if you have a 4' tank let's see your full tank shots!
 
Can’t beat a pair of orphek OR3 strips
Ai hydra 26 pair also good
 
Budget would be helpful, I currently run Hydra 26HD's but planning on a T5 hybrid setup for the future tank. I would love to go with Kessils + T5.
no budget, just looking for a light that has a great community of users to make troubleshooting easy
 
Do you want LEDs?

If you want no trouble shooting, a 6 bulb t5 or 2 halide pendants would give you that.
 
2x XR15's I run the gen 5 blue and love it. Been sniffin' around a reefbreeders for my next tank.....or just adding a XHO reef brite kit.
 
4 ft t5 8 bulbs hung 12 to 18 in and 2 to 4 aquaknight 30w reef led depending on desired par levels

You could also go with 2 to 4x philzon, viparspectra or wills 165w led depending on desired par levels


Either way no reason to buy expensive lights out the gate buy mid end lights that get the job done then upgrade down the line

As this will curve the cost and you'll be able to get the most bang for the buck and buy more coral instead

Then aquaculture the coral successfully an then upgrade later your coral should be happy for the most part under these lighting configuration

I know liveaquaria uses a mixture of blackbox led t5 and radions

Aci and unique use mh and led mixed

Wwc uses all radions

At the end of the day it's all personal preference and what you want in your system do you want it to be programmable or set it and forget it


I would suggest the t5 with the aquaknights personally I think you would be suprised with the growth if u were trying to grow sps

4 x of these
And one of these


And go with the brs reccomended bulb configuration

Guarenteed you will have sufficient lighting enough to grow any coral
 
I have exactly that size tank (take a look at my build thread if you want to see pics and videos). I got an amazing deal on a pair of older, but still new-in-box AI Hydra 26’s and the WiFi AI Director, and have them mounted with the older EXT rail mounts that screw to the back of the stand with a bracket. Couldn’t be happier with them.
 
no budget? 3 radion xr15's. get an orphek LED bar for the luls.

budget? 2-3 smatfarm LED's and an aliexpress LED bar customized to a 420-450nm format.
 
8 bulb Sunpower, and if you're into the rave look, bolt on a couple of Reefbrites.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top