Looking to re fab mu fuge

ShawnSaucier

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 25, 2011
Messages
885
Reaction score
543
Location
Lake Mary, Fl
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank: 190g
Sump: 37g running
Refugium: 20g running w/2x Reef Radiance fuge LED (6500k)

I'm looking to rehab my fuge area. Currently I'm running 1" of MM with approx 15lbs of LR with some macro and tons of Green Hair. I would like to have some nutrient export and a safe place for a healthy pod collection. Not overly impressed with the MM, and contemplating BB. The fuge is fed from my return with maybe 3x turnover ph. Thinking about building a two tier rack for the fuge. Bottom level would be filled with Marinepure balls or blocks, second level having live rock and chaeto.
Or, should I do a DSB with macros and LR? I still have plenty of room within my sump to and the Marinepure balls or blocks. I'm looking for the most impact for the space that I have allocated. Both with pods and nutrient export. What are your thoughts?
 
I've thought about this, I'm not the best with acrylic work and am super OCD about salt creep and splashing water not contained. Which leads me to another possibility. Maybe a few Santa Monica floating algae scrubbers and turning the lower portion into a cryptic zone....hmmm
 
That would be dope ! I def wanna follow in on.that build for me (building my first sump ) imma set up just a standard refugium
 
I had mine built. It's 40x 24x 20. Since I'm not a huge fan of reactors, it leaves tons of room as there is only a skimmer and a return pump in there. When I built this tank, I was really set on having tons of room to be able to work on things. So tired of everything crammed together..
 
I have 2 spare 20 g tanks sitting around and lots of acrylic so i figured why not.build a sump ? Its gonna be ghetto im still trying to figure everything out
 
I'm all about DIY, why pay a premium if you can build it yourself. Two twenties are great, if you can fit a ten for your ATO you'll be golden
 
image.jpg


image.jpg




Here are a few pics of the sump. The white egg crate was built to stop the splashing from the fuge return. I was constantly cleaning salt off of the top of the sump. So I built a basket to hold either LR or Marinepure products.. Haven't chosen which yet
 
Still looking for ideas with my fuge area. I cleaned out all of the MM and had a large ball of chaeto in there for a moment, it disappeared after a month. I was having some small issues with PO4 and finally broke down and added a media reactor to run Rowaphos. I have built a "stand" to elevate the larger pieces of LR 6" above the bottom in hopes to create a "cryptic" zone underneath for pods and sponges. My nitrate level is approximately 10ppm (Red Sea) and I would like it to drop a bit more to around 5ppm. I seem to have no luck with chaeto , would culerpa help with those levels?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top