Looks like an anemone but flees the light?

MichelleRay

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
109
Reaction score
58
What state or country do you live in
Kentucky
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw it only for a second this morning when I turned on the lights. When I first got my rock a few days ago there was a huge clam blocking my view of this spot but the clam decided to move elsewhere, so this morning I was able to see behind where it was attached. There were maybe 6-8 tentacles poking up from the rocks, about half a fingernail tall. It's a tiny baby whatever it is. About 2-3 seconds after the lights came on the thing retreated and it hasn't come back out over an hour later.

The tentacles were definitely anemone-like. They were transparent with spots of color, orange I think but not 100% sure, and in shape reminded me of a bubble tip anemone. They were arranged in a ring but not all at the same height, so I think it was laying along an irregular hole in the rock and conforming to that shape a bit.

I can find no trace of it now and obviously I didn't get a picture as I was not expecting to see a thing there lol. It did not look anything like an aiptasia other than being anemone-like. The color and tentacle shape were all wrong.

Any ideas? o_O

Oh and if it helps any the rock is from off the Florida coast on the gulf side.
 
Possibly majano?
 
I have no idea but it sounds interesting. Tagging along in the hopes you find it again
 
I checked some photos of majanos, but I'm not sure. I had some of those in a previous tank, but this one doesn't seem the same to me. I could be wrong and I'll be keeping an eye on it, but the retreat from light thing is certainly odd for them and the colors are not looking quite right.
 
I moved the rock around so I could see properly and I was able to get a much better look. From what I can tell I think it's just an aiptasia. Very sad as I like anemones. I would have loved a less invasive hitchhiker one. I think this guy is going to have to go though. Pictures for confirmation. The central disk is green while the tentacles are clear with brownish stripes.

8d369qC.jpg


With flash
bN7u2D3.jpg


Pictures wouldn't come out clear no matter how steady I was but hopefully this helps.
 
That's really neat looking. I thought aiptasia has long thin tentacles not usually fat and compact like the pics.
 
Personally I would play it safe. Too many times these unusual anemones are just another invasive anemone type like Majano or glass anemones which is a catch all anemone in the Aiptasia class.
 
That's really neat looking. I thought aiptasia has long thin tentacles not usually fat and compact like the pics.

See that is what I thought. I am not 100% sure it is a pest, and I really hate to kill one if it's not. What also strikes me as odd is that it is just one. I've looked all over and haven't spotted a single other. It does kind of remind me of a daisy anemone, but those are not supposed to live around Florida where this rock is from. It's quite confusing lol. For now I am giving him the benefit of the doubt, but I will be watching very closely.

ETA It hasn't fully extruded all day either. Not like when I first saw it. I am going to see if it does so once the lights are off. It doesn't seem to care for lights though. I've only got the LEDs that came with my fish tank on there right now too so I don't imagine they're all that bright.
 
I have them or something similar in my tank been there for years don’t know what they are but they are harmless.
 
I just found the tiniest of baby anemones on top of the cyanobacteria on some rock near this one. It wasn't anchored so I have it in a test tube at the moment. Not sure what to do with it now that I caught it. o.0
 
I just found the tiniest of baby anemones on top of the cyanobacteria on some rock near this one. It wasn't anchored so I have it in a test tube at the moment. Not sure what to do with it now that I caught it. o.0
Has anyone ever done a test tube nano? :D
 
Just as an update, I have 4 peppermint shrimp in there and they haven't touched it. so... probably not aiptasia, at least? Also still no new ones aside from the one. That one sadly died on me, presumably because it wouldn't come out of the tube.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top