Low nutrients and coral health

  • Thread starter Thread starter JKDMan
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

JKDMan

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 25, 2020
Messages
154
Reaction score
53
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my corals are seemingly unhappy, primarily the soft coral..a toadstool, a ricordia , but also a hammer and a favia. They aren't opening all the way. Could low nutrients be the cause? 0.00 no3 and 0.14 po4 on the hannas. So other parameters are stable and in acceptable ranges.

Thanks
 
If accurate, there is plenty of phosphate but the nitrate is low and I'd definitely raise it to avoid dinos and help corals.
Yes. I've been having small dino outbreaks when the nitrates drop that low.. my plan is to increase feeding. Possibly with the addition of a auto feeder for a consistent addition, for better monitoring. Unless there is a better way, especially one that won't increase phosphate as well
 
Yes. I've been having small dino outbreaks when the nitrates drop that low.. my plan is to increase feeding. Possibly with the addition of a auto feeder for a consistent addition, for better monitoring. Unless there is a better way, especially one that won't increase phosphate as well

Dosing food grade sodium nitrate is cheap and easy, but feeding is also a fine plan.
 
I just ordered some food grade sodium nitrate from Amazon for $7.00.

My nitrate levels have been slowly dropping to the single digits and while feeding helps I don't want it to keep dropping because if it gets too low softies will start protesting. Plus, feeding more has a lag.
 
I have some sodium nitrate for curing meats.. pink salt... it's that what your using.... ya my softies are protesting lol... so are the hammer coral.. I put a good dose of fuel in along with some plankton and frozen mysis for fish. And turned off my filtration for the day.. gonna leave it off till tomorrow night and test again
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top