LR hitchhiking critter (crab?) ID, dangerous?

JoJosReef

10kW Club member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 27, 2021
Messages
11,693
Reaction score
40,105
Location
Orange County, CA
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a new one last night, poking its head out of a rock in a very hard to see area. Could not get a picture that would focus correctly and these videos were the best I could do.

I think this is a crab, but not 100% sure. It has two very tiny claws like a pom pom crab's (without the pom poms), and it is waving around its small hands like a procelain crab would, but it doesn't have larger claws like a porcelain, at least that I can see. Any ideas? Potentially dangerous to the two clowns and many snails?


 
On
Found a new one last night, poking its head out of a rock in a very hard to see area. Could not get a picture that would focus correctly and these videos were the best I could do.

I think this is a crab, but not 100% sure. It has two very tiny claws like a pom pom crab's (without the pom poms), and it is waving around its small hands like a procelain crab would, but it doesn't have larger claws like a porcelain, at least that I can see. Any ideas? Potentially dangerous to the two clowns and many snails?


my phone, pics very fuzzy
Can’t tell
 
Sorry, I tried. Got different flashlights and everything, but the critter is tucked into a crevice angled to back and cam only filocuses on the areas around it. (at least not spooked by white light).

I'll try again tonight if it's out again. Will try the gopro cam.
 
On

my phone, pics very fuzzy
Can’t tell
I've got one. It's been in my 30 for 2 years. It'll come out. Maybe. Lol. I've seen the entire crab 3 times. Gulf rock. He's been cool and at Nighy he seems to like roids.
 
I've got one. It's been in my 30 for 2 years. It'll come out. Maybe. Lol. I've seen the entire crab 3 times. Gulf rock. He's been cool and at Nighy he seems to like roids.

Here's the best footage I've been able to get of him with a flashlight. Horrible, but I can't get a good angle on it or even get a good look at it, just it's movement. I don't know if a bottle trap will work, but I will try one.


 
If you have nothing expensive then no issue.
Most crabs are opportunistic feeders and will eat what it can catch.
Few don’t cause issues.
 
Here's the best footage I've been able to get of him with a flashlight. Horrible, but I can't get a good angle on it or even get a good look at it, just it's movement. I don't know if a bottle trap will work, but I will try one.


Yeah. That's his mouth parts catching food. Huge claws compared to tiny body. Mines been in the same place. Less white now. More tan. He'll come out. Someday. Lol
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top