Lyretail has gray, lifted scale(s) - picture attached

  • Thread starter Thread starter BSej
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

BSej

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 3, 2024
Messages
202
Reaction score
34
Location
Chicago
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I saw this on one lyretail this morning. Anything of concern? The tank does have uronema, but no signs of other diseases/parasites in the tank or on other fish. They're all eating and look healthy otherwise.

Thanks guys!

Nitrates - <5ppm
Salinity - 35ppt
pH - 8.15

IMG_8572.jpg
 
Hello,

I saw this on one lyretail this morning. Anything of concern? The tank does have uronema, but no signs of other diseases/parasites in the tank or on other fish. They're all eating and look healthy otherwise.

Thanks guys!

Nitrates - <5ppm
Salinity - 35ppt
pH - 8.15

IMG_8572.jpg
Im hoping this is a puncture wound as it may also be the start of uronema. Mentioning both, Ruby Rally Pro will treat both but take longer opposed to formalin based medication which is very hard to find. Other would be Seachem Neoplex in a separate treatment tank
Is fish breathing normal?
 
Im hoping this is a puncture wound as it may also be the start of uronema. Mentioning both, Ruby Rally Pro will treat both but take longer opposed to formalin based medication which is very hard to find. Other would be Seachem Neoplex in a separate treatment tank
Is fish breathing normal?
I won't be able to catch him, so any treatment would need to be done in the DT. If it means anything I've had Uronema in the tank since basically the beginning. I've never had a fish show signs of Uronema except when I was running hyposalinity.

Not home to check on its breathing, will look later. He was eating well and swimming fine this morning.

Most of the fish have been pretty skiddish/jumpy since I've added several new fish.
 
I won't be able to catch him, so any treatment would need to be done in the DT. If it means anything I've had Uronema in the tank since basically the beginning. I've never had a fish show signs of Uronema except when I was running hyposalinity.

Not home to check on its breathing, will look later. He was eating well and swimming fine this morning.

Most of the fish have been pretty skiddish/jumpy since I've added several new fish.
Ruby Rally pro can be safely used with inverts and coral and would be your go-to. However if Uronema which does not appear to be at moment- others can be affected and require removal.
 
Hello,

I saw this on one lyretail this morning. Anything of concern? The tank does have uronema, but no signs of other diseases/parasites in the tank or on other fish. They're all eating and look healthy otherwise.

Thanks guys!

Nitrates - <5ppm
Salinity - 35ppt
pH - 8.15

IMG_8572.jpg
Uronema lesions are usually vertical and elongated, so hopefully that isn’t it.
How long have you had this fish?
 
I'm going to go against the flow and suggest early uronema - however, I also wonder - how do you know uronema is in your tank.? It would be helpful if you could mention if there are any other fish, etc in the tank that could have caused that lesion - or any obvious trauma?
 
I'm going to go against the flow and suggest early uronema - however, I also wonder - how do you know uronema is in your tank.? It would be helpful if you could mention if there are any other fish, etc in the tank that could have caused that lesion - or any obvious trauma?
I disagree. As mentioned, its shape and location not in alignment with uronema
 
I disagree. As mentioned, its shape and location not in alignment with uronema
You may very well be correct and I agree - however without more information about the time the fish has been in the tank etc - and no source of an obvious injury - it's totally unclear. In medicine I guess we prepare for the worst possible scenario - as compared to the best - in this case I would consider preparing for the worst (uronema) - I also am not sure why/how the OP says there is uronema in the tank. As we all know - it's not always a bad thing - if uronema is in the tank (i.e. uronemo does not always cause disease) . IME the shape and location hits uronema exactly - however it's small. But early uronema starts with a spot - and it bears very very careful watching IMHO.
 
I'm going to go against the flow and suggest early uronema - however, I also wonder - how do you know uronema is in your tank.? It would be helpful if you could mention if there are any other fish, etc in the tank that could have caused that lesion - or any obvious trauma?
I did a lab test a long time ago. And then when I ran hyposalinity at one point, a few fish had gotten it and died. I've heard of Uronema breakouts happening during hypo. Never seen any symptoms other than during hypo.

There are 3 anthias, 3 fire fish, 2 clowns, sailfin, yellow, and purple tangs, line spot wrasse, blue damsel. The fish have been skiddish and territorial over the new additions. Nothing crazy but I wouldn’t be surprised if they nip once in a while.
 
Last edited:
Here's what it looks like today. Breathing seems fine. Eating well. @Jay Hemdal @MnFish1

IMG_8617.jpg

The lesion looks slightly raised - typically, Uronema lesions are of a reducing type, where the lesion looks sunken, more shallow than the rest of the fish. My gut feeling is that this is a bacterial infection, stemming from an injury. It could heal on its own, but treatment in a QT with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic would be one possible treatment.
 
Agree with Jay - it seems if it were uronema it would have spread/worsened. Thats somewhat good news.
 
Hard to get a picture, here's a short clip. He's eating and swimming fine. I can't tell if it's getting better or worse.

 
Hard to get a picture, here's a short clip. He's eating and swimming fine. I can't tell if it's getting better or worse.


Given the length of time here, I don't think this is uronema - that typically kills fish very fast. I wonder if it is a spike injury from the tang? These can heal on their own, but if they get infected, the fish would need treatment with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic in a treatment tank - Neomycin or Kanamycin would be two choices.
 
Given the length of time here, I don't think this is uronema - that typically kills fish very fast. I wonder if it is a spike injury from the tang? These can heal on their own, but if they get infected, the fish would need treatment with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic in a treatment tank - Neomycin or Kanamycin would be two choices.
How can you tell if it’s infected?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top