Made a Mistake After AEFW — What Now?

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Joined
Jul 18, 2018
Messages
1,903
Reaction score
5,121
Location
Lima, OH
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the process of building a new frag system to move my corals into from the system they were already in because the dimensions of the new system were better for me. A couple of months before the new system was completed, I noticed that I contracted AEFW in the Acropora-only system. I battled them, but I was slowly losing because all corals were small frags that weren’t able to handle the constant stress. So, I ended up getting rid of everything, which was nearly two weeks ago.

In the meantime, I started the new system with matured live rock from the systems of other locals, and I also used MarinePure that I cycled for nearly four months. So, I added a tester Acropora frag last weekend. It’s still alive, and it has great polyp extension.

Today, I was tearing down the system that I noticed AEFW in. Without thinking about the consequences, I pulled the snails out of that system, scrubbed them with a toothbrush, and I placed them into my new system.

So, I’m now waiting to see if my mistake will have dire consequences for the Acropora frag that I currently have in the new system.

Since I tossed all of the corals and tiles that they were attached to (no rock in display with them), what are the chances that the AEFW hitched a ride into my new system via the snails?

Excuse me while I vomit.

3B0BCE3D-B4E0-4C8A-B243-171F879E31A4.gif
 
pretty slim ,fingers crossed ,fw dip next time,happy reefing
 
Thanks for the reassurance, @fishguy242 and @drawman! I’ll just keep an eye on things and see how everything goes over the next few months.

I was stressing because I made sure to use all new bio-media and live rock, as well as clean everything thoroughly that was moved to the new system from the old. Once I dropped the snails in, I had a moment of panic. :oops::eek:
 
Thanks for the reassurance, @fishguy242 and @drawman! I’ll just keep an eye on things and see how everything goes over the next few months.

I was stressing because I made sure to use all new bio-media and live rock, as well as clean everything thoroughly that was moved to the new system from the old. Once I dropped the snails in, I had a moment of panic. :oops::eek:
I know how you feel. Certain pests will make you want to trash everything!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top