Making quality RO/DI with softened/neutralized Well Water?

Here's the latest plot twist, my tds is higher after the DI Resin than before........!

I got the booster pump and decided to replace my sediment filter/carbon block/di resin as well. Hooked everything up and the tds read 2 after the membrane, and 8 after the di cannister!

What could possibly be causing that except for a bad tds meter? I feel like bad di resin would simply not improve the tds, not make it worse! Help?!
 
Here's the latest plot twist, my tds is higher after the DI Resin than before........!

I got the booster pump and decided to replace my sediment filter/carbon block/di resin as well. Hooked everything up and the tds read 2 after the membrane, and 8 after the di cannister!

What could possibly be causing that except for a bad tds meter? I feel like bad di resin would simply not improve the tds, not make it worse! Help?!
Nvm it works now, weird
 
Haha. I was going to say the resin might be depleted.
 
Maybe for the first few gallons. When the resin is depleted it starts breaking down and you will see higher TDS out of it than into it.
 
What I was saying is that depleting (old) resin can have higher TDS out than in. But more importantly, it can have higher values for specific items we want to remove, such as ammonia or silicate which are weakly bound and easily come off the resin when depleted.
 
What I was saying is that depleting (old) resin can have higher TDS out than in. But more importantly, it can have higher values for specific items we want to remove, such as ammonia or silicate which are weakly bound and easily come off the resin when depleted.

Makes sense. In my case it was fresh resin increasing tds though. Shortly after my tds meter died so I think it must have been that.

Thanks for your input !
 
Last edited:
Yes...the batteries....Fresh DI resin will ALWAYS get zero tds...even the low grade DI resin that we REJECT multiple times a year... In Air Water Ice 's refillable 10" Nuclear Grade Mixed Bed Di Cartridge the spec is 6,000 but it will hold at least 3,000 ppm tds. The equation for how long your di will last...EXAMPLE:
1.) you have 300 ppm tds at your house...
2.)your RO tds is 15 ppm tds (95% rejection) ...
3.) take 3,000/15 and you will get 200 zero tds gallons before exhausting. Get your RO rejection down to 5 ppm and you will get 600 [3,000/5] zero tds gallons before exhausting (showing 1 ppm after making one gallon of RODI water).
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top