Mangroves: Would you like a tree in your tank?

Would you be interested in keeping a tree in your tank?

  • Been there, done that!

    Votes: 91 17.7%
  • I haven’t done it yet, but I am interested.

    Votes: 209 40.7%
  • I think it is interesting, but I’m sticking to fish and/or corals.

    Votes: 151 29.4%
  • Trees should stay in nature and there is no place for them in my tank.

    Votes: 63 12.3%

  • Total voters
    514

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Joined
Apr 29, 2014
Messages
21,631
Reaction score
165,374
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This week we have been talking about amazing, legendary tanks and what is more over-the-top than a tree in the middle of your saltwater aquarium! Have you thought about a mangrove tank or maybe an aquarium with emerging plants? If you have done it, what was your experience? Do you have any tips to share? Are there other emergent, saltwater plants that you have kept? If you're not interested in the least, tell us why not. Whether this is something that you have thought about, have done, find intriguing, or are not interested, please join the conversation and share your thoughts!

Acameron2Mangrove.jpeg

Photo by @Acameron2

Are you interested in putting a tree in your tank? Here are a few R2R threads that you may find interesting:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/show-off-your-mangrove.279371/
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/rc40g-mangrove-refugium.494597/
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-ultimate-mangrove-thread.686278/

We encourage you to use the R2R search feature to find a lot more information on mangroves in your saltwater aquarium. In the meantime, join the discussion below!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I've always loved the idea of keeping a mangrove in your tank or at least in a frag tank or refugium. I actually have kept one in a fuge before. I just like the look of it!
 
Would love it, but don’t have the space between my tank and lights. But maybe the fuge. Anyone think a Neptune Gro could keep one going???
 
Would love it, but don’t have the space between my tank and lights. But maybe the fuge. Anyone think a Neptune Gro could keep one going???

I would think so, no problem.
 
I would love one, cant seem to source them around where I live :(
 
I think that the mangrove idea is cool how it provides a natural look to an aquarium but i have never tried it. It does look sweet though when the mangrove grows up and has the roots going into the aquarium.
 
This week we have been talking about amazing, legendary tanks and what is more over-the-top than a tree in the middle of your saltwater aquarium! Have you thought about a mangrove tank or maybe an aquarium with emerging plants? If you have done it, what was your experience? Do you have any tips to share? Are there other emergent, saltwater plants that you have kept? If you're not interested in the least, tell us why not. Whether this is something that you have thought about, have done, find intriguing, or are not interested, please join the conversation and share your thoughts!

Acameron2Mangrove.jpeg

Photo by @Acameron2

Are you interested in putting a tree in your tank? Here are a few R2R threads that you may find interesting:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/show-off-your-mangrove.279371/
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/rc40g-mangrove-refugium.494597/
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-ultimate-mangrove-thread.686278/

We encourage you to use the R2R search feature to find a lot more information on mangroves in your saltwater aquarium. In the meantime, join the discussion below!
I would love to try but I just don't have the room in my tank
 
Have 5 in my sump, they used to be in an old reef bowl I had last year that I took down and didn't know where to place them. They have grown so much and so quick since putting them in the sump. About 20 inches tall now - from roots to the top. They're in a media cup by red sea in place of the filter sock. The overflow doesn't drain on them though, the section pretty much has no flow and is flourishing with pods!
IMG-2077.jpg
 
This week we have been talking about amazing, legendary tanks and what is more over-the-top than a tree in the middle of your saltwater aquarium! Have you thought about a mangrove tank or maybe an aquarium with emerging plants? If you have done it, what was your experience? Do you have any tips to share? Are there other emergent, saltwater plants that you have kept? If you're not interested in the least, tell us why not. Whether this is something that you have thought about, have done, find intriguing, or are not interested, please join the conversation and share your thoughts!

Acameron2Mangrove.jpeg

Photo by @Acameron2

Are you interested in putting a tree in your tank? Here are a few R2R threads that you may find interesting:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/show-off-your-mangrove.279371/
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/rc40g-mangrove-refugium.494597/
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-ultimate-mangrove-thread.686278/

We encourage you to use the R2R search feature to find a lot more information on mangroves in your saltwater aquarium. In the meantime, join the discussion below!

We had three mangrove trees in a half level exhibit tank. They grew and even began throwing out prop roots. However, we had a LOT of issues with plant pests, spider mites IIRC. The Columbus Zoo has some huge mangrove trees growing in their manatee exhibit.

Jay
 
I started with a pod and it grew pretty well for a while. Its not looking so hot these days, but I need to add some supplemental lighting
 
A mangrove would top off my Softies/LPS tank for being natural, the only downside is I don’t have the sandbed depth to do it so I’m sticking to corals and fish. I would also struggle to find any as none of my LFS’s down in the south of England seem to hold mangrove shoots.
 
If a frag bonsai tree counts- done it
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top