Marco Foundation Rock worth the money?

Saltywaters

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 27, 2021
Messages
44
Reaction score
41
Location
NH
What state or country do you live in
New Hampshire
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordering my first Marco rock tonight and wondering if Foundation Rock is worth the money. Sounds like a really smart idea for stability and i'm sure the rocks will look cool coming out of the sand.
For the price of them I am having a hard time adding around $200 to my order, are they worth it? Are there any alternatives?
 
Alternatives? How about live rock? It's not as easy to make a rock sculpture-scape out of but it may be superior for providing real live reef microbiome to jump start the system?

I have not used their product so I don't have direct experience with it, but I have laid brick for my patio but I wasn't trying to grow coral on it. :cool:
 
Alternatives? How about live rock? It's not as easy to make a rock sculpture-scape out of but it may be superior for providing real live reef microbiome to jump start the system?

I have not used their product so I don't have direct experience with it, but I have laid brick for my patio but I wasn't trying to grow coral on it. :cool:
Thank you KrisReef.

I was looking for Alternatives to Marco Rocks Foundation product they sell which has a ground flat bottom.
 
Thank you KrisReef.

I was looking for Alternatives to Marco Rocks Foundation product they sell which has a ground flat bottom.
I figured that, but I still had to try and change your mind! :cool:

Hopefully folks with experience with the dry rockscapes will weigh-in here shortly.
 
I use the foundation rock and I really like it, it gives me peace of mind that my base is stable and not putting pressure on the glass in just a few tiny points. And yeah, I do love the look of the rocks peeking up from the sand! My RFAs seemed to like it too, both anchored their feet to the part of the rock under the sand.

Not sure what size tank you are setting up but you may be able to get away with less - a few foundation pieces with the regular rock spanning gaps between it.
 
I use the foundation rock and I really like it, it gives me peace of mind that my base is stable and not putting pressure on the glass in just a few tiny points. And yeah, I do love the look of the rocks peeking up from the sand! My RFAs seemed to like it too, both anchored their feet to the part of the rock under the sand.

Not sure what size tank you are setting up but you may be able to get away with less - a few foundation pieces with the regular rock spanning gaps between it.
Thank you Saltcats

I'm setting up a 75 gallon. I was going to order 4 Mediums, and 4 or 5 smalls but 75lbs of standard rock until I looked how much it was going to cost hahah
Do you think that would be too many foundation rocks ?
 
I love my flat-on-one-side rocks. . .

I use this or the purple version:


Note that all my tanks are bare bottom though. . .
 
One thing to note make sure the rock is exactly where you want it before adding sand. . . good luck getting it flat on the glass after moving it. . .
 
Thank you Saltcats

I'm setting up a 75 gallon. I was going to order 4 Mediums, and 4 or 5 smalls but 75lbs of standard rock until I looked how much it was going to cost hahah
Do you think that would be too many foundation rocks ?
I'm not sure how much that is exactly (is that BRS's measurement system?)... I ordered mine by the lb from premium aquatics.

For reference I got 2lbs for my nano tank (1.3 sq ft bottom area in the tank) and then ~10lbs for my upcoming 50 lagoon (including the original 2lbs as I'm upgrading). This seems like plenty to me for the scapes I've been playing with.
The size of the 2lb piece I ordered -

IMG_20201124_112414.jpg
 
im going to try STAX off premium aquatics for half the cost and looks like the same amount of everything
 
i purchased the 9lb bag and glued a few pcs together to form a nice base plus you’ll have additional pcs to build your scape

 
I used regular marco rock and cut flat pieces with my miter saw. Just had to buy a diamond blade for it but it saved a ton on money. I loved the idea of flat rock on the bottom but couldn't afford the extra money for the flat rock.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top