Marineland polishing filter with diatomaceous earth

Hyde2406

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 18, 2016
Messages
505
Reaction score
333
Location
Sarasota, FL
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the Marineland polishing filter put it in a 5 gallon bucket put the diatomaceous earth in there so that it would get charged took it out of the five gallon bucket put it in my tank and it started blowing diatomaceous earth everywhere I'm allowing the filter to kind of suck everything back up but I'm hoping it's not going to harm my fish or Coral any help would be great
 
I got the Marineland polishing filter put it in a 5 gallon bucket put the diatomaceous earth in there so that it would get charged took it out of the five gallon bucket put it in my tank and it started blowing diatomaceous earth everywhere I'm allowing the filter to kind of suck everything back up but I'm hoping it's not going to harm my fish or Coral any help would be great

It’s just silica, nothing to worry about - worst case you may get some diatoms.
 
You put the shells of diatoms in your tank
serveimage
 
Oh good thank you so much, how can I avoid this the next time I use it? I'm only using it to clean my sump and sand off detritus, figured I'd disturb everything and have the filter do its job then I'll remove it when it all looks clean, any thoughts?
 
I'm not sure about the marineland, but with the Vortex Diatom filter you cannot shut it off when you transfer it to the DT. What I do is get it charged in a 5g bucket like you did, and then submerge a juice pitcher in the bucket and put the intake and output lines in the pitcher. You can then lift the pitcher and filter out of the bucket and into the tank. It's easiest with a 2nd person helping but once you do it a couple times you'll get the hang of it.

I'd go so far as to suggest trying the transfer a couple times without the diatom powder just to get used to it.
 
I'm not sure about the marineland, but with the Vortex Diatom filter you cannot shut it off when you transfer it to the DT. What I do is get it charged in a 5g bucket like you did, and then submerge a juice pitcher in the bucket and put the intake and output lines in the pitcher. You can then lift the pitcher and filter out of the bucket and into the tank. It's easiest with a 2nd person helping but once you do it a couple times you'll get the hang of it.

I'd go so far as to suggest trying the transfer a couple times without the diatom powder just to get used to it.
There are ways with a vortex. I simply made it so I could connect the inlet and outlets pipes and run it a few seconds while it was sitting at the tank then I could turn it off and place them in the tank. As long as you didnt bump it the powder stayed on the bag.

A tiny bit of white spray came out as it purges the air but it never hurt anything.
 
can anyone help me find parts for the vortex system 1 diatom filter??
 
can anyone help me find parts for the vortex system 1 diatom filter??
I'm in the same boat. Mine's been loosing power & blows air out the return so pretty sure it's the impeller & seal.
Good luck
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top