Maroon Clowns more likely to host anemone?

govolsguy31

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 25, 2016
Messages
265
Reaction score
242
Location
Harrisonburg, VA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple weeks ago I was told by someone running a LFS that maroon clowns were the most likely to host an anemone... is that true?

I like the way the maroons look, but hear they're the most aggressive.

Also, is it better to get the clowns first or have some corals/ anemones in the tank first for a greater chance of success with this?
 
as fas as the best to host, I'm not sure... I had a pair of black osceralis that hosted rbtas and carpets... I have 3 maroons (gold flakes) and they all host their own rbt.
10313f7eec4a29dae2ad8be183742c9b.jpg
66ce8eafa0897e724aa07503774bfe7c.jpg
breeding pair
I also have a pair of gladiators that refuse to hosr anything but a powerhead.
and maroons are by far the most aggressive imo.
 
From what I've read many clowns will host anenomes that arent their natural host but presumably the natural host is best. My ocelaris pair host my BTAs but it took them months to decide to do so. Im guessing it might be related to getting them very small/young and taking time to figure out they like the anenome.
 
From what I've read many clowns will host anenomes that arent their natural host but presumably the natural host is best. My ocelaris pair host my BTAs but it took them months to decide to do so. Im guessing it might be related to getting them very small/young and taking time to figure out they like the anenome.
We got a pair of young oc. clowns yesterday. I was afraid to go with the maroons with everything I heard about them being very aggressive. I'll get a nem in there at some point and we'll see what happens.
 
Anemone is the host, clowns are the tenants. Best chance for a particular clown to accept the host is to select the natural anemone. Sometimes they will 'settle'.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top