Maybe found the cause of my struggles

  • Thread starter Thread starter Deontae
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Deontae

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 14, 2019
Messages
131
Reaction score
30
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I’ve been kinda struggling for the last year or so with my 40 breeder reef tank. I upgraded from a 20 long that was doing great and had plenty of growth. I got a rodi unit and a bunch of other equipment when I upgraded and the corals never really seemed happy after wards. I’ve been storing my rodi water in a trash can from Walmart and I just randomly checked the tds and it was at 4! Is it possible that all this time my stored rodi water was the issue because of the plastic leaching something into it?
Thanks for any help
 
Corals kinda just surviving and some being closed up
There could be many many reasons for this. Lighting, flow, nutrients, etc etc etc.
You can start by replacing that container and see if there is a difference, then move on to something else if that doesn't solve it. One thing at a time methodically. 4 tds is not in and of itself a killer.
you will now have 27 people ask what your Parameters are ;)
 
There could be many many reasons for this. Lighting, flow, nutrients, etc etc etc.
You can start by replacing that container and see if there is a difference, then move on to something else if that doesn't solve it. One thing at a time methodically. 4 tds is not in and of itself a killer.
you will now have 27 people ask what your Parameters are ;)
It depends on what the begginning TDS of your house water is. In my case, it is upwards of 350, so having 4-6TDS on the RO water is not bad and has not had any ill effects or ICP elements climbing out of whack. If your tarting water is 100TDS or less, then I would expect lower TDS for the RO water, flush your membrane often.
 
My TDS always go up when my RO water is stored but I use a food safe 55G barrel so no worries. Not sure about your Walmart trash can. Maybe try switching to a food safe Rubbermaid Brut container.
 
It depends on what the begginning TDS of your house water is. In my case, it is upwards of 350, so having 4-6TDS on the RO water is not bad and has not had any ill effects or ICP elements climbing out of whack. If your tarting water is 100TDS or less, then I would expect lower TDS for the RO water, flush your membrane often.
My house water is in the 400’s but if I put new rodi water directly into a glass it measures 0tds
 
There could be many many reasons for this. Lighting, flow, nutrients, etc etc etc.
You can start by replacing that container and see if there is a difference, then move on to something else if that doesn't solve it. One thing at a time methodically. 4 tds is not in and of itself a killer.
you will now have 27 people ask what your Parameters are ;)
Equipment:
40 breeder
Medium aquafuge 2
Aquaclear 70
Tunze 9004 skimmer
2 ai prime hds
Jaebo gyre pump

Stocking:
Six line wrasse
Clown pair
Diamond goby
Bangai cardinal
Cuc
Lps and softies

parameters
Cal 450
Alk 9.6
Mag 1300
Ph 8.15 (morning)
No3 50
P04 0.02

I feed a quarter cube of mysis every other day
 
I believe he is asking about stored water not water fresh out of the RO unit or the tanks water.
 
Equipment:
40 breeder
Medium aquafuge 2
Aquaclear 70
Tunze 9004 skimmer
2 ai prime hds
Jaebo gyre pump

Stocking:
Six line wrasse
Clown pair
Diamond goby
Bangai cardinal
Cuc
Lps and softies

parameters
Cal 450
Alk 9.6
Mag 1300
Ph 8.15 (morning)
No3 50
P04 0.02

I feed a quarter cube of mysis every other day
I do not believe a TDS of 4 ppm is not a problem. Which I why I suggested testing it straight out of your DI tap. Mine is 0 ppm if the resin is fresh. It goes up to 3-4 ppm if it is used up. My tap water starts out above 500 ppm too.

You reported your nitrate level as 50 ppm. That is very high for a reef tank. That is likely your issue. My nitrate levels are 16 ppm and a lot of my coral is not thriving either. I have been trying to get it down, but without success. I think my problem is due to an old sand bed that I can't adequately vacuum. I say this because frequent water changes and Red Sea NoPox dosing is not working anymore.
 
Just for the record, my corals seem happier now that my nitrate is 25 up from 5ppm 2 months ago. I have maintained 5ppm for a couple years until I used fluxRx because of the GHA was getting out of control. I don't think your 16ppm will bother your corals but 50 is too high, more WC's.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top