(Maybe) vermetid snails on zoas. What do I do?

BudgetR33f

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 25, 2024
Messages
231
Reaction score
121
Location
Cumming
What state or country do you live in
Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dipped twice for 30 min with seachem reef dip. Before vs after picks:

IMG_4225.jpeg IMG_4229.jpeg
 
Smash them with tweezers/scrape the snail shell off the frag.
I could do that with the ones growing on the frag plug. But what do I do about the ones growing out of the actual zoas? Or are those something different?
 
These are one of those things that will always show up and be in your tank no matter what you do. Like algae it's just another part of the biome. I added a bunch of bumblebee snails to keep mine in check.
But how do I get them off the zoas?
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 57
I absolutely hate vermitid snails! For the ones that are close to coral in my tank, I leave them whole and use a small dab of super glue over the opening. Kills them without possibly damaging corals
 
I don’t see any vermetid snails in the photos. What are you referring to that is on your zoas
 
I don’t see any vermetid snails in the photos. What are you referring to that is on your zoas
Agree. Not sure what we’re looking for.
I researched and all I could find was that they were vermetid snails. I’m not 100% sure what they are, but I just know that it’s not normal and causing the zoas to close up. Here’s the best photo I could find of them; they’re the thin white worms/strings coming out of the zoas
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4225.jpeg
    IMG_4225.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 40
Does anybody know what they could be then?
 
Does anybody know what they could be then?
Hard to say. A lot of variables and little information. Is this a new tank?

In my experience, you've got to ride stuff out. Other than effecting our tanks with good husbandry habits, everything else is hit or miss. And yes, sometimes, critters don't make it...
 
The little Strands look like some filament algae or maybe some type of sponge growing in the zoas. Neither should be an issue for healthy zoas. They are probably more ticked from being dipped than anything. Leave them be for a few days.
 
Agreed with others - not vermetids. I would blast your zoas with water from a turkey baster to try to clean them off.

If zoas start to go down hill and dont open for days, give them a hydrogen peroxide (3%) bath.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top