Measuring Efficacy of Tank Filtration System

stacksoner

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 29, 2018
Messages
810
Reaction score
1,165
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a standard or parameters to aim for in evaluating a system's filtration performance?

For example, reefing uses many of the same methods as municipal water treatment plants, yet they have precise standards to measure the quality of the output product and there's not a lot of guesswork going on there.

I'm curious to know what we're specifically aiming for in our filtration output and if it's something that contributes to success in the hobby.
 
Sump, skimmer, refugium, filter socks. Proper water turn over. I aim for .1 phosphates and 10 nitrate. Complicated as I don't have enough fish. Dosing amino acids to assist with feeding corals.
My answer to how I interpret your post. >,>
 
Precise number really vary greatly depending on the hobbiest, the accuracy of test kits, the contents of the source water, salt mix, live stock. I think generally phosphate under .10 and nitrate under 20ppm.

Quality of the filtration also depends heavily on how often the product water is tested and the accuracy of those test.

Also have to note waste water treatment plants have specialized equipment and and much more precise measurement and monitoring equipment vs hobby grade stuff we use ( still costing into the thousands depending on the type of equipment ).

Basically is it worth the time and effort for precise results and adjustments?

I think good enough does the job.
 
I'd argue the real only similarities that reefing has to water treatment plants is our RODI systems. Inside of our tanks however it's simply about your mechanical or chemical filtration setup. And that's a bit all over the place in terms of what's 'best.' personally I just go with filter floss, a carbon bag for clear water and a protein skimmer.
 
I'd argue the real only similarities that reefing has to water treatment plants is our RODI systems. Inside of our tanks however it's simply about your mechanical or chemical filtration setup. And that's a bit all over the place in terms of what's 'best.' personally I just go with filter floss, a carbon bag for clear water and a protein skimmer.
I can't say I'm an expert but I did recently watch a few videos on how waste management plants work. They are pretty similar to what we do to our water. They remove something like 40 percent of solids using mechanical filtration like I'd compare to filter socks and a skimmer. The majority of the filtration is done using bacteria. Which honestly I would compare to using something like vibrant or waste away or having a deep sand bed. Then finally UV depending on the state or area.

I'd say it's similar to what we do just scaled waaaay up.
 
Is there a standard or parameters to aim for in evaluating a system's filtration performance?

For example, reefing uses many of the same methods as municipal water treatment plants, yet they have precise standards to measure the quality of the output product and there's not a lot of guesswork going on there.

I'm curious to know what we're specifically aiming for in our filtration output and if it's something that contributes to success in the hobby.
Love this question! The closet to answer would come from the aquaculture business that recycles its water. I seem to recall that they settle out particles rather than resort to mechanical filtration.

For the home aquarium, the more expensive but technically simpler mechanical filtration is used to remove suspended solid waste but other than pore size and cleaning the filter when flow becomes restricted, there really aren’t measurable quality characteristics.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top