Meet my new Electric Blue Hermit Crab!

bReefedBaker

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 9, 2021
Messages
225
Reaction score
431
Location
Syracuse
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to introduce to the R2R family the latest and newest addition to my aquarium CUC.

Meet my Electric Blue Hermit Crab! I’m very happy thus far - love it x10! I’ll grab some dry seaweed as another supplement for a “more happy” Mr. Zular as he settles in.

( short video: )

30BA6A47-2C45-47B1-8C3C-C485371E8503.jpeg
 
Nice color addition !! The Electric Blue Hermit Crab also known as the Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit is a small electric blue-legged hermit crab that is an excellent addition to any cleanup crew. They are completely reef safe, peaceful, and easy to care for. This crab will spend most of its time scavenging the live rock for algae or seaweed to feed on. It is recommended to have a selection of empty shells around the tank just in case the Hermit wants to switch homes as they grow larger.
 
it is essential to have bigger shells in the tank because if the hermit can't find one it will take a snail's shell and get a thanksgiving dinner along with it...
 
Nice color addition !! The Electric Blue Hermit Crab also known as the Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit is a small electric blue-legged hermit crab that is an excellent addition to any cleanup crew. They are completely reef safe, peaceful, and easy to care for. This crab will spend most of its time scavenging the live rock for algae or seaweed to feed on. It is recommended to have a selection of empty shells around the tank just in case the Hermit wants to switch homes as they grow larger.
I’m still slowly trying to take pics./videos of the CUC currently in the tank. It’s a slow go as I’m looking for their personality to show, haha lol!

I have an assortment of 30 shells being shipped as we chat right now. I’m very happy you brought that up. I have 2 Questions ??

—- 1.) What’s my best way for placing the shells in the tank? Should I put 4-5 various sizes in little groups in different areas of aquarium or is it better to just randomly spread the various size shells throughout the aquarium? 2.) Last question (for now, lol) Looking at the shells I purchased, do you believe they’ll be suitable for both the Hermit Crabs?
- TIA -

:) I just so happened to pick up a Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab. The little crap isn’t as photogenic right now. Very tiny at poss. a 1/4” - it’ll be fun watching him grow over time (a loooong time). I provided this link here: If you’d like to see the Dwarf Hermit. Again, not very picture/video happy right now.
 

Attachments

  • 3891B303-470C-4840-A503-830551F63F16.jpeg
    3891B303-470C-4840-A503-830551F63F16.jpeg
    200.1 KB · Views: 105
  • 04FD62ED-96D9-4CFB-A089-2C3D12E0883E.jpeg
    04FD62ED-96D9-4CFB-A089-2C3D12E0883E.jpeg
    203.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 45400E39-2E0A-4694-8FD1-79274F497F81.jpeg
    45400E39-2E0A-4694-8FD1-79274F497F81.jpeg
    137.4 KB · Views: 123
it is essential to have bigger shells in the tank because if the hermit can't find one it will take a snail's shell and get a thanksgiving dinner along with it...

Something along the lines like these... they’re being shipped to me right now at the moment. I’ll have them by Monday the latest, tomorrow the earliest.
 

Attachments

  • DE178482-69F3-45DD-AAC8-E0AB7D74FDC9.jpeg
    DE178482-69F3-45DD-AAC8-E0AB7D74FDC9.jpeg
    200.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 45A1602D-2B0B-4A5C-93F0-43A48CDD4519.jpeg
    45A1602D-2B0B-4A5C-93F0-43A48CDD4519.jpeg
    203.5 KB · Views: 89
I’m still slowly trying to take pics./videos of the CUC currently in the tank. It’s a slow go as I’m looking for their personality to show, haha lol!

I have an assortment of 30 shells being shipped as we chat right now. I’m very happy you brought that up. I have 2 Questions ??

—- 1.) What’s my best way for placing the shells in the tank? Should I put 4-5 various sizes in little groups in different areas of aquarium or is it better to just randomly spread the various size shells throughout the aquarium? 2.) Last question (for now, lol) Looking at the shells I purchased, do you believe they’ll be suitable for both the Hermit Crabs?
- TIA -

:) I just so happened to pick up a Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab. The little crap isn’t as photogenic right now. Very tiny at poss. a 1/4” - it’ll be fun watching him grow over time (a loooong time). I provided this link here: If you’d like to see the Dwarf Hermit. Again, not very picture/video happy right now.
These shells will work and simply scatter them. Many pet stores also have turbo snails which have died and left the shell behind. See if you can have them or pay a few cents for them.
 
These shells will work and simply scatter them. Many pet stores also have turbo snails which have died and left the shell behind. See if you can have them or pay a few cents for them.

Update my friend & veteran reefer; 30+ shells have arrived (c/o North Florida Shells). Now do I just let all 30 go in and allow it to go. I also have the dwarf blue leg hermit, so I have to put some smaller ones in there also.

Basically my main question(s) are/is; can I pick out just various sized shells like one or two of each size. Is 30 shells an overkill esp. if some are the same size? Also, should I put the largest one shell in now or wait (top Right corner in pic.) Can I pick out a few of just favorites etc. Looking at the pics. and after you rinsed in tank water what are you doing?
- dumping all 30 in
or
- picking a couple of each size
Thanks in advance!!
 

Attachments

  • 25EC36C4-C56D-4FFF-8EAA-45417AE4CECA.jpeg
    25EC36C4-C56D-4FFF-8EAA-45417AE4CECA.jpeg
    323.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 4564A80C-F200-4FA2-ACFD-9B41D3E02710.jpeg
    4564A80C-F200-4FA2-ACFD-9B41D3E02710.jpeg
    290.1 KB · Views: 80
Nice color addition !! The Electric Blue Hermit Crab also known as the Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit is a small electric blue-legged hermit crab that is an excellent addition to any cleanup crew. They are completely reef safe, peaceful, and easy to care for. This crab will spend most of its time scavenging the live rock for algae or seaweed to feed on. It is recommended to have a selection of empty shells around the tank just in case the Hermit wants to switch homes as they grow larger.
aren't they different species?
 
Update my friend & veteran reefer; 30+ shells have arrived (c/o North Florida Shells). Now do I just let all 30 go in and allow it to go. I also have the dwarf blue leg hermit, so I have to put some smaller ones in there also.

Basically my main question(s) are/is; can I pick out just various sized shells like one or two of each size. Is 30 shells an overkill esp. if some are the same size? Also, should I put the largest one shell in now or wait (top Right corner in pic.) Can I pick out a few of just favorites etc. Looking at the pics. and after you rinsed in tank water what are you doing?
- dumping all 30 in
or
- picking a couple of each size
Thanks in advance!!
it is entirely up to you. personally, i would just add them all throughout the tank. but really all depends on your tank size and if you're comfortable with having a lot of shells laying around.

i find it safer to have many shells then a few shells because the hermits can be picky...
 
it is entirely up to you. personally, i would just add them all throughout the tank. but really all depends on your tank size and if you're comfortable with having a lot of shells laying around.

i find it safer to have many shells then a few shells because the hermits can be picky...
i accidentally stumbled here this is a zombie thread
 
yes pretty! Mine is a killer. I have added more of those and every time, the existing big one chases every new and kills it. i was wondering why they disappeared. i witnessed one then - shake the shell (seriously sophisticated) to expel the crab out of shell then chase it down to kill it. he is a sole king forever now. it doesnt bother other crabs though
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top