Meredith's 180 In-wall happy place

Two bulkheads one high and one low connected together with 90s and clear tubing as a level Indicator I hope this makes sense lol

A pictorial explanation of what @tcarter1936 is referring to @melypr1985. Each line you see on the clear pipe is 5 gallons.

 
Something like this is what I use. 55gal for $20 (and usually some effort to clean) isn't a bad price.
I do use a ~35gal Brute as my mixing station. I got one of the wheel bases so that I could roll it out of the way (my mixing station is in the garage - no fancy room for me yet...)

Looks great! So excited to see it moving along.

The posting in the link was deleted, but I think I get what your say'n.
Check craigslist for barrels. I built a saltwater mixing station out of these. $30 each

https://gulfport.craigslist.org/fod/5881132431.html
Yes!! I've been on craigslist twice a week since we started this build looking for the right barrel.
Two bulkheads one high and one low connected together with 90s and clear tubing as a level Indicator I hope this makes sense lol
It kinda does, but the picture below helps it clear up quite a bit. :D Thanks for the tip! I wouldn't have thought of that.
A pictorial explanation of what @tcarter1936 is referring to @melypr1985. Each line you see on the clear pipe is 5 gallons.

Thankyou for the picture! Clears that up pretty well!



I"ll be making a decision this weekend on what to buy for the mixing station, but tons to do while that spins around in my head. I plan on getting a lot of small things done for the tank this weekend.
 
OK! I spent a long time at Home Depot today and had not one, not two, but three people brush me off instead of cutting a darn pipe for me. It would have taken 3 minutes, but alas.... I will have to go back with Richard tomorrow morning so I can get the light hanger deal up.
Instead of the lights, I worked on the screen top! Got those done, and they look pretty decent. Not as flat as I'd like, but it will still do the job.


15442351_1637578089601027_8595346241317679906_n.jpg


I also got in a total RODI makeover. All the filter cartridges will be replaced including the membrane. Longer tubing so the whole machine can be moved into the fish room as well. That will hopefully happen tomorrow morning while i have Richard with me.


15380822_1637578109601025_4384161612927666136_n.jpg


We also made some decisions with the mixing station. The jugs I got for free are actually 20 gallons. We decided that will work for water changes but we will need more than 20 gallons in the freshwater storage. You can't have an ATO run off of the freshwater bin and have it empty for a while after making 20 gallons of saltwater right? So, the plan is to get the 35 gallon containers from tractor supply. We just don't want to risk having a large brute can that high in the air.... makes us nervous. Anyway, i made a real doo doo drawing of my plan for how this will come together. I'll post it up tomorrow probably and let yall critique it.
 
The screen top looks great. Also good to hear you can use your freebie water containers for something

Yeah! Not sure what I would use it for, but I'm sure I'll come up with something. That's one thing about this hobby.... things that hold water are always useful!
 
I use a 35 gallon norwesco container for mixing water. It is a perfect size for my 125. Might be a bit small for a 180. I think they have a some in the 60 -70 gallon size.
 
I use a 35 gallon norwesco container for mixing water. It is a perfect size for my 125. Might be a bit small for a 180. I think they have a some in the 60 -70 gallon size.

I think that's the exact one we are looking at! Both of the containers we are planning to use are smaller than I initially planned, but we are having a hard time finding two where the budget and what I like mesh. Sometimes we just have to compromise. 20 gallons would be 10% of my total water volume so that's the bare minimum and that's what the freebie container is. Unless I find an extra $85 in the laundry, I think we will just use one of those norwesco deals and the freebie. **shrug**
 
I keep thinking about how I could have remodeled our kitchen for what we have put into this build. I'm trying not to think about it though.:eek:o_O
 
I keep thinking about how I could have remodeled our kitchen for what we have put into this build. I'm trying not to think about it though.:eek:o_O
But think about this.
When people come over for the first time they may say nice kitchen after a quick glance. But when they see your tank they are generally glued to it and full of questions.
Except for the occasional one that says fish tanks are stupid way too much work lol.
 
I think that's the exact one we are looking at! Both of the containers we are planning to use are smaller than I initially planned, but we are having a hard time finding two where the budget and what I like mesh. Sometimes we just have to compromise. 20 gallons would be 10% of my total water volume so that's the bare minimum and that's what the freebie container is. Unless I find an extra $85 in the laundry, I think we will just use one of those norwesco deals and the freebie. **shrug**
Nothing wrong with a cheaper setup for some of your needs as you can alw as ys upgrade later when you have more money or find a deal,I've learned to wait for deals on some items,and others are Def worth just springing for.[emoji3]
 
That would be my sister ;):p
Sisters are way too much work! :eek::p

Oh wait.. you mean your sister says fish tanks are too much work, my bad!!!!
 
Update: Working on the water mixing station! Richard went to homedepot today and got the pipe for me, cut it himself and the extra 2x4's that I needed. He's so sweet. He even sat and helped me draw up a plan for the mixing station. I do enjoy when he takes an interest in the tank stuff. Here's what I got so far...
15442214_1638785902813579_5728529715252705271_n.jpg

15442217_1638785786146924_5957573911964420370_n.jpg


I have the legs cut and I'm about to go put it together the rest of the way. Wish me luck!!! Oh... and I wore real shoes the whole time ;)
 
Update: Working on the water mixing station! Richard went to homedepot today and got the pipe for me, cut it himself and the extra 2x4's that I needed. He's so sweet. He even sat and helped me draw up a plan for the mixing station. I do enjoy when he takes an interest in the tank stuff. Here's what I got so far...
15442214_1638785902813579_5728529715252705271_n.jpg

15442217_1638785786146924_5957573911964420370_n.jpg


I have the legs cut and I'm about to go put it together the rest of the way. Wish me luck!!! Oh... and I wore real shoes the whole time ;)
Nice stuff!
 
Nice stuff!

Just wait until you see the distaster it turned into!! LOL I gave up on it.... I'm just dumping this reject into my husband's lap and saying "fix it". I'll show you.. hang on
 
Looks ok from this side. I was real proud of myself here... this all took me about 4 hours or so. Lots of measuring and cutting and drilling.

15355646_1639182242773945_6264910832626189463_n.jpg

Then I go to put the top platform on this thing and it's all kinds of messed up! It doesn't line up at all and is kinda warped looking. I must have done something wrong with this one. Or Richard bought warped 2x4's. Maybe I'll just tell him that the wood was warped otherwise it would have turned out perfect! I know better, you know better, heck he might even know better, but we can all live in denile for a bit right? ;)

15442385_1639182222773947_4693398941200273329_n.jpg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top