micro pics of several unid'd critters

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 11, 2014
Messages
1,508
Reaction score
1,977
Location
Statesville, NC
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband got me a digital microscope for christmas and I had fun taking samples out of my fuge. I saw the usual suspects but there are several things I couldn't ID. I have videos of all of these pics.

1. There are a bunch of these white round worms and they wriggle just like earthworms. Nemotode maybe?

Mon Dec 23 12-29-14.jpg
Mon Dec 23 12-32-00.jpg


2. There were a few of these. I have a cool video if you want to see it. It moves like a caterpillar.

InkedMon Dec 23 13-10-59_LI.jpg


3. Saw a few of these. I think they might ostracod but not sure. I have a vid of it as well. I have a lot of videos so it will take time to upload them to YouTube. I wanted to get these pics out there.

Mon Dec 23 14-04-08.jpg
Mon Dec 23 14-05-09.jpg


4. This one kind of freaks me out. Looks like the Alien egg sack from Aliens. And it moves like a blob from a comedy horror movie. I think it has a thick part and a skinny part. What the heck is this thing? Again, I have a video of it as well.

Mon Dec 23 13-29-29.jpg


5. This one is kind of hard to see. It has a black body with white legs and reminds of a crab but this is at 1000x magnification. I was thinking some kind of sea mite. I hope its not bad.

InkedMon Dec 23 13-19-59_LI.jpg


6. This one moves like a slug too but a lot faster than a slug will move.

InkedMon Dec 23 13-26-12_LI.jpg


7. There's a bunch of these too but I didn't see them move.

Mon Dec 23 13-55-31.jpg


I know I probably won't be able to ID everything. Mostly I'm doing this cause I thought it was fun. I can't wait to get this thing working on my phone so I can take pics inside the tank.
 
This is awesome! I love looking at the microscope! Some of those are ameobas, paramecium and pseudopods. But not sure what kind. Thanks for sharing! Hopefully someone has more knowledge.
 
Love microscope pics. And you're pretty good at these already!
1 agree nematode
2 I want to see video
3 agree ostracod
4 slightly disturbing, but I'm going to request video anyway :)
5 agree Marine mite (halacaridae)
6 video?
7 is there a spiral / wrap around structure going on?
 
What microscopic get...
Just started looking for one
 
These were the only videos I could get to upload for some reason. The first is of the little white pod that I thought was an ostracod and the second is of the yellow slug like creature.


 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top