Mix Salifert KH & Mg buffer in ATO reservoir?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Podle
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Podle

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 29, 2014
Messages
18
Reaction score
6
Location
Norway
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, does anyone know if its ok to mix Salifert KH/pH and Magnesium buffer in the ATO reservoir, or will they react and precipitate out of the solution? :confused:

The reason I ask is that i have a quite new aquarium with only a few corals, and so far i have not needed to add much additives. Only a little KH & Mg every now & then. (I have some DIY LR that is "dosing" Ca, so currently I have to high Ca)
But for the last week (maybe two) i have seen a significant increase of KH & Mg consumption, and today i have to leave home for two weeks, so i did not have much time to make up a plan for dosing these two. (in the future i will run a calsium reactor, but as long as my Ca is high and consumption is low i am happy to only go with the two buffers)
I have a tank sitter that feed and follow my tank every day, but she has no clue what she is doing, other than following my instructions :confused:
So to make it easier for her, I filled a few 25 liter drums of RO water and added some Salifert KH & Mg buffer in them, to be able to maintain the levels while i'm gone. But after i had added the buffers i started thinking if they would react in the RO water?
I tried to look for signs of precipitation in the containers, but I could not see anything....
 
Magnesium should never need frequent dosing. At a depletion rate of at most a fee ppm per day usually less) either doing nothing for 2 weeks, or adding it all in advance are both fine options. :)

What do you think your magnesium consumption rate is?
 
Thanks Randy!
Unfortunately I dont know my consumption rate as it has been very stable up until now, when suddenly the KH & Mg consumption took off!
Up until now a few waterchanges and a little bit additions of KH buffer has kept all the parameters very stable, so it was a bit surprising to see this now. And the worst possible timing since i only discovered it just before going away for two weeks :(
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top