Mixed color stringy poop. Is it intestinal irritation or internal pathogen?

DieHardPhotog-Reefer

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
113
Reaction score
75
Location
Spring Hill
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just came clear of 77+ days of FALLOW tank. Overly cautious and paranoid about everything now.

We used 3 black mollies as test fish to see if there was any disease but all they showed signs of having was some type of intestinal irritation (brown stringy poop). We moved 2 clowns into the same tank after they survived the 77 days in QT. Now one of them has stringy poop hanging but it's not completely white. It has stretches of brown/black in it and it's kind of pale yellow.

I'm geared up and ready to feed with Metroplex, Focus and GarlicGuard but I'm hesitant because I'm not sure if what I saw was a symptom of an internal pathogen or just a stomach irritation.

Before joining the mollies in this tank, the clownfish have never showed any stringy poop. At the same time, over the last week, we started feeding them refrigerated brine shrimp for the first time so that might have been too old or just too much variance for their usual simple diet mix of LRS Frenzy and SA Hatchery diet pellets soaked in Selcon.

Should I go ahead and be proactive with the treatment or just change the diet back to normal and wait it out. I know white stringy poop is a sign of a pathogen but just how white is "white" in this case?
 
Metroplex / Focus seems to be a pretty gentle treatment, in my experience - and can be used in the display. I've got new fish in QT that I'm treating with it, and _all_ of my fish are getting the same food - and not complaining about it.

~Bruce
 
Metroplex / Focus seems to be a pretty gentle treatment, in my experience - and can be used in the display. I've got new fish in QT that I'm treating with it, and _all_ of my fish are getting the same food - and not complaining about it.

~Bruce

This^. I've used it in my reef with no ill effects. Works well.
 
Metroplex / Focus seems to be a pretty gentle treatment, in my experience - and can be used in the display. I've got new fish in QT that I'm treating with it, and _all_ of my fish are getting the same food - and not complaining about it.

~Bruce
Thank you for the quick response! We added 1 scoop of Metroplex, 1 scoop of Focus to a tablespoon SA Hatchery along with Selcon and GarlicGuard. We're going to try it for 10 days to see if it helps.

This^. I've used it in my reef with no ill effects. Works well.
^^^Thanks! I appreciate your feedback.

Mixed color is not a problem. Only all white + stringy is the problem.
Good news. Thanks again.:)
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top