- Joined
- Apr 24, 2018
- Messages
- 585
- Reaction score
- 565
- Location
- Downtown Atlanta
- What state or country do you live in
- Georgia
Hey folks, another random one for ya!
My tank, remote fuge, and sump are in a partially finished part of my basement. However, there is a "secret room" I discovered in my basement right next to the current fish room, which happens to be directly below where my 150g display tank is currently residing and awaiting water... I will soon be plumbing them all together.
The room is 10 X 12 ft and ideal for a fish room, but has a dirt floor. The room will house my current frag tank and remote fuge and sump (45g tank, 33g fuge, 36X18" sump), water change/mixing station, and shelving for supplies, etc. I may add a slop sink at some point with a sump pump to expel water...
I have ordered gravel base and concrete and will be pouring a slab and wiring up this room shortly, but I have a question:
It would be most convenient to mix the concrete in the room itself and do it in two sessions. However, it is so close to the current tank, that I am concerned about the dust from the bags of dry mix as I pour them into the mixer (I have a 1.77 CuFt electric mixer I'll be using).
Mixing, dumping, and working the concrete will be much easier for me if I do it in this room, as opposed to outside mixing, and bringing it in in buckets....
I could potentially hang a sheet or some plastic sheeting in the space dividing the two rooms, but with only two 4"X 4" openings in the foundation wall to the outside, I am worried about ventilation in there (especially if I'm in there for 5 hours!).
Do you all have any recommendations or warnings? I don't want to be too stupid here...
Thanks!
My tank, remote fuge, and sump are in a partially finished part of my basement. However, there is a "secret room" I discovered in my basement right next to the current fish room, which happens to be directly below where my 150g display tank is currently residing and awaiting water... I will soon be plumbing them all together.
The room is 10 X 12 ft and ideal for a fish room, but has a dirt floor. The room will house my current frag tank and remote fuge and sump (45g tank, 33g fuge, 36X18" sump), water change/mixing station, and shelving for supplies, etc. I may add a slop sink at some point with a sump pump to expel water...
I have ordered gravel base and concrete and will be pouring a slab and wiring up this room shortly, but I have a question:
It would be most convenient to mix the concrete in the room itself and do it in two sessions. However, it is so close to the current tank, that I am concerned about the dust from the bags of dry mix as I pour them into the mixer (I have a 1.77 CuFt electric mixer I'll be using).
Mixing, dumping, and working the concrete will be much easier for me if I do it in this room, as opposed to outside mixing, and bringing it in in buckets....
I could potentially hang a sheet or some plastic sheeting in the space dividing the two rooms, but with only two 4"X 4" openings in the foundation wall to the outside, I am worried about ventilation in there (especially if I'm in there for 5 hours!).
Do you all have any recommendations or warnings? I don't want to be too stupid here...
Thanks!

