Mixing sodium nitrate and sodium phosphate in same bottle, can be a problem?

  • Thread starter Thread starter fr3n0z
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

fr3n0z

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 5, 2022
Messages
540
Reaction score
250
Location
France
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming i am doing the right math, mixing sodium nitrate and sodium phosphate in same bottle can lead to problem like precipitate or unwanted interaction between the 2? I would like to try to auto-dose them but i have only one peristaltic.
 
It is fine to mix them, but you may find the same fixed ratio is not optimal over time since the two ions will be partly or even mostly used in different processes.
 
I mix them in saltwater and dose overnight. The small amount of saltwater replaces what Is lost from filter socks, skimmer, salt creep, testing, etc.
 
I mix them in saltwater and dose overnight. The small amount of saltwater replaces what Is lost from filter socks, skimmer, salt creep, testing, etc.

Personally I'd be concerned about mixing it in seawater due to potential calcium phosphate precipitation.
 
Personally I'd be concerned about mixing it in seawater due to potential calcium phosphate precipitation.
The water in the dosing container is crystal clear, but I’ll keep an eye on it. I’m liking using a doser to maintain nutrients. They have been very steady.

I’ve been testing nutrients a lot lately, trying to get things dialed in. I didn’t realize how much they go up after feeding and how quickly they fall. That’s why I started dosing overnight between feedings.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top