Mixing Station - Does Salt Water Go Bad?

Sdoutreefer

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 4, 2013
Messages
820
Reaction score
258
Location
Idaho
What state or country do you live in
Idaho
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I am debating on setting up a more efficient mixing station for my saltwater. Currently, I just mix a 5 gallon bucket at a time for my WCs. This is becoming a pain and I am wanting to mix larger batches all at once.

My question is, will the saltwater go bad? I will do about 20gallons at one time. I plan to keep it circulating and heated.
 
Did some research after posting... Sounds like the consensus is that it's good for up to a week, as long as its circulating.
 
Mine sits longer than that at times. I also don't keep it circulating but I do run the powerheads for a while before using the water. I may be doing it wrong but that's how I've done it for years with no problems that I'm aware of.
 
I did not have good results with RedSea Coral Pro salt.... And for some reason they say not to mix for more than 4 hrs.
 
Did some research after posting... Sounds like the consensus is that it's good for up to a week, as long as its circulating.

I do not believe that is correct. One of the BRS videos ran a test on this. I understand this is social media content but it is pretty easy to test and difficult to push bias when done properly.

There are fellow hobbyist who mix up large amounts of saltwater and use over time be it manual or automated water change. There are also a couple of large aquaculture farms who store pre-made mix in 250 gallon containers.

 
Lol sure, but the ocean isn't kept in a plastic tub... :p
This is true and it's also true that the ocean isn't in a glass box. My reef is over 50 years old and I'm sure some of the original water is still in there and I don't think it went bad yet. :)
 
This is true and it's also true that the ocean isn't in a glass box. My reef is over 50 years old and I'm sure some of the original water is still in there and I don't think it went bad yet. :)

Lol - I know you are jesting but even evaporation top off the original water is long gone.

Hope you are well.
 
I do not believe that is correct. One of the BRS videos ran a test on this. I understand this is social media content but it is pretty easy to test and difficult to push bias when done properly.

There are fellow hobbyist who mix up large amounts of saltwater and use over time be it manual or automated water change. There are also a couple of large aquaculture farms who store pre-made mix in 250 gallon containers.

Thank you for this!!
 
Did some research after posting... Sounds like the consensus is that it's good for up to a week, as long as it’s circulating.
I had 40 gallons sit for 5 or so years without circulation… added some carbon and a pump and started using it a few days later.
 
I do not believe that is correct. One of the BRS videos ran a test on this. I understand this is social media content but it is pretty easy to test and difficult to push bias when done properly.

There are fellow hobbyist who mix up large amounts of saltwater and use over time be it manual or automated water change. There are also a couple of large aquaculture farms who store pre-made mix in 250 gallon containers.

^This, and I don't care that it's from BRS, it's correct :)

The answer is that it depends on the salt mix being used. The trouble with the Red Sea blue bucket as mentioned above is that the "extra" buffers and things they add to the salt will precipitate out in a short period of time. That doesn't even really mean that the water went "bad", but it will be cloudy, and you would not be getting the benefits that salt is supposed to provide. That's why they tell you to use it inside of 4 hours.

I have been using just the regular Aqua Forest sea salt mix lately, and I mix mine in Brute can before using it. It probably sits for a couple of weeks before I use it all, and no problems that I know of.

Good luck!
 
Lol - I know you are jesting but even evaporation top off the original water is long gone.
No, I'm not jesting. I do cover the water or just add fresh water when it evaporates but I have always stored it and have not found any problems since the 70s. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

And I am well, hope you are. :)
 
I’ve found it often gets a lil algae in it; even in opaque white or orange buckets…
…anyway, while we are at it, those wanting more effective/faster mixing should consider adding another powerhead in lieu of the oft promoted heater…
thing is pumps alone add plenty of heat, adding another even more so…
I think BRS is selling heaters with its “mixing station” suggestions
 
I keep 30 gallons mixed in a Brute trashcan at all times. I use an inexpensive aquarium pump with no hoses attached to keep the water churning. When I add RO/DI and salt, the pump works as a greater mixer. The Brute prevents most light from reaching the water, so no problem with algae.
 
I mix 100 gallons at a time of instant ocean. I use about 1.5 gallons per day. When the reservoir level lowers by about 40-45 gallons, I add more water, a bag of IO, mix and start over. After the batch is mixed, I do not stir or heat.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top