Mixing three types of wrasses together

These are all great ideas and possible additions. However I would pass on the Orange Back as it will be a bully towards smaller wrasse like the McCosker or rubeus. You could still add the Orangeback it’s just you would be a little restricted on what wrasse you add that aren’t Halichoeres or Leopards.
Interesting, how many wrasses you think would be good with the melanurus and yellow coris in a 75g?
 
Both have green and red stripes on face =). One is full yellow, the other has white belly. Both were sold to me as yellow coris so I didn't know they are different species. Maybe that's why they get along? But I also seen tanks with 3-4 full yellow coris and no territorial issues.
So it seems you have a Halichoeres chrysus, the coris, and a Halichoeres leucoxanthus! Not the same fish, but they are very similar hence why they were sold to you as coris. Funny enough these guys are naturally occurring mates in the wild, which is probably why they get along well
 
Interesting, how many wrasses you think would be good with the melanurus and yellow coris in a 75g?
I would add 3 or 4 wrasse to your tank depending on what other fish goals you have.
 
Both have green and red stripes on face =). One is full yellow, the other has white belly. Both were sold to me as yellow coris so I didn't know they are different species. Maybe that's why they get along? But I also seen tanks with 3-4 full yellow coris and no territorial issues.
Yep, one (full yellow) is Chrysus (Yellow Coris) and the other is Leucoxanthus (Yellow and Purple/Four Spot).
 
I want to be able to keep three of my favorite wrasses together. Being the yellow coris, melanurus, and six line wrasse. I've read a lot of thing on mixing wrasses together but, I haven't seen much one these three together. If anyone can help or give advice. It'll be very helpful!
Currently I have a 75 gallon. I wanna upgrade the tank but it's the matter of getting time to move stuff to have room for a larger system.
There are a lot of beautiful wrasse, why not choose another wrasse instead of Six-line wrasse. They are just not nice wrasse IMO, and can throw a wrench in your community. Almost sky is the limit in term of wrasse but in small tank like your, you won't be able to keep a larger number of them. Just avoid some of the larger, and more aggressive wrasse. These are some of my non Fairy wrasse. When you consider fairly wrasse, it even open a huge number of variety to your choices. All of these are, IMO, suitable for a 75 gall community tank in addition to the two you listed. I would strike the Six-line from your list.

Black Leopard pair: female and male include nuptial coloration.
BlackLeopardWrasse2019072804Female - Copy.jpg
BlackLeopardWrasse2019072805Pair - Copy.jpg
BlackLeopardWrasse2020040404Male - Copy.jpg
BlackLeopardWrasse2020051601 - Copy.jpg


M. meleagris Leopard wrasse, female and male:
MeleagrisLeopard2019061603.jpg
MeleagrisLeopard2020041601S.jpg
MeleagrisLeopard2020090504Male.jpg

MeleagrisLeopard2020090508MaleNuptial.jpg
MeleagrisLeopard2020100802Male.jpg
MeleagrisLeopard2020122302Male.jpg



Any of these flasher wrasses:
CarpenterFlasher2021031202.jpg
EightlineFlasher2019061603.jpg
P attenuatus2020070401.jpg
YellowfinFlasher2018071602.jpg


M. iridis one of my favorite. Picture of my female and male pair:
RadiantWrasse2021031402Female.jpg
RadiantWrasse2021031901.jpg
RadiantWrasse2022013001.jpg


H. chrysotaenia: Vrolick Wrasse. I raised her/him from a tiny baby 1.5 inches to a full terminal male
MelanurusWrasse2018062101.png
MelanurusWrasse2019010601resized.jpg
MelanurusWrasse2020062101 - Copy.jpg
MelanurusWrasse2020080406 - Copy.jpg

MelanurusWrasse2020112501.jpg





 
Don't know why 6 lines get such a bad rap. I have 3 in different tanks, 1 in a 75, 2 in 40s. They have not pestered any of my fish other fish including other wrasse. They kind of do their own thing searching for food. I keep a good deal of live rock stocked with pods.
 
Are these both leopard? Beautiful fish. Love the bottom coloration
Female M. meleagris
meleagrisleopard2019061603-jpg.3218822


Male M. meleagris
meleagrisleopard2020090504male-jpg.3218824


Nuptial coloration of my Male M. meleagris
meleagrisleopard2020090508malenuptial-jpg.3218825
 
Same fish just female and male. All wrasse start as female and become male with age.
I see you in all the threads I read. Seems you are in the Atlanta area. Mind if I pick your brain for stocking ideas? I’m leaning away from the Yasha/pistol combo due to the Yashas short life span.

Could I do 3 wrasse in 65/80? Yellow coris, Naoko, and leopard? Or would a blue star leopard be better?

What order to introduce?
@OrionN too much for 3 footer?
 
Last edited:
I see you in all the threads I read. Seems you are in the Atlanta area. Mind if I pick your brain for stocking ideas? I’m leaning away from the Yasha/pistol combo due to the Yashas short life span.

Could I do 3 wrasse in 65/80? Yellow coris, Naoko, and leopard? Or would a blue star leopard be better?

What order to introduce?
@OrionN too much for 3 footer?
I see no issue with those three and the leopards are very similar so I’d focus on finding a healthy one at an LFS. I Trust Simon at Nemo for the healthiest fish. Last time I was there he had an ornate leopard.
 
Last edited:

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top